• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who is an ancient coin expert?

Oh, there are no local dealers of ancients to any degree... there are less than 10 in the country of any note. They all come to the big coin show once a year at the Galleria... that's your only chance to see the good stuff in person. Well, you could fly to London and go to the British Museum. They'll pull out anything you want to see if you file a request. But I digress. Lemme dig up the names.

There probably aren't 100 serious collectors in GA. I probably qualify.

Here's two until I dig out some catalogs. Both have been around forever.

http://www.coin.com/cgi-local/findCoins.cgi?grp=8

http://www.hjbltd.com/ancientcoins/cncc.asp?inventorygroup=cc

Understand that these aren't like Roosevelt dimes-- they are not commodities. Every single one is different, and desirable types may not frequently be offered for sale. You want a nice Caligula sestertius, be prepared to pay-- and to wait. I fear that the honeybee Ephesus coin may be similar.

Last edited:
Oh, there are no local dealers of ancients to any degree... there are less than 10 in the country of any note. They all come to the big coin show once a year at the Galleria... that's your only chance to see the good stuff in person. Well, you could fly to London and go to the British Museum. They'll pull out anything you want to see if you file a request. But I digress. Lemme dig up the names.

There probably aren't 100 serious collectors in GA. I probably qualify.

I resemble that observation. Ancient coins have turned into a favorite. I even started a "Coins of the Bible" class for my church and have real and replica shekels, widow mites, chi-rho, etc. Fun hobby. Especially cleaning an identifying them.

img.ma_shops.com_khouli_pic_thumb_artid2480_combined.jpg

Grade: VF | Abbreviations
Material: Silver
Weight: 16.10 g
Diameter: 28.00 mm
KINGS of THRACE, Macedonian. Lysimachos. 305-281 BC. AR Tetradrachm (28mm, 16.1 gm). Pella mint. Diademed head of the deified Alexander right, with horn of Ammon / Athena Nikephoros seated left, left arm resting on shield, transverse spear in background; monogram in exergue. Thompson 245 VF, toned, scratches.
img.ma_shops.com_khouli_pic_291501567148_2t.jpg

It's starting to look like a replica is going to be the route that I have to go. I'll rub some Ga red dirt on it and she'll never know the difference :) Or, I may just forget the whole Macedonia theme all together since the Ephesus (ian?) is a better looking coin anyway.

It's starting to look like a replica is going to be the route that I have to go. I'll rub some Ga red dirt on it and she'll never know the difference :) Or, I may just forget the whole Macedonia theme all together since the Ephesus (ian?) is a better looking coin anyway.

Could always get a bee charm made out of gold for a necklace?
I just saw pictures of several....????

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom