• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Who is hunting with thier AR?

12.5" AR in 6.8 SPC.

Dropped an 8 pointer in November with an 85 grain TSX. DRT.

Going to get a Contender in the same caliber for this season.

I agree, I hunted with my Bushy one time,.223/556. I just didnt feel comfortable using that small of a round. Sure it will kill them, but you may have a mile or so tracking job after the shot, unless you go with a head shot, which I have never done! This year I have a DPMS LR .308 to hunt with. CANT WAIT. Good luck to everyone this year, whatever you hunt with.

This is what happened to me. The last time I shot a deer back about 12 years ago I used a Colt 20 inch Hbar and stuck a .223 55gr. Remington Core-Lok in the boiler room of a small buck at about 60 yards. Buck drops, kicks and lurches around like most do when they are shot and dying. After being on the ground like this for about 5-10 seconds the bucks jumps up and runs off......on three legs essentially. The exit wound through the lung and busted the bone in the other leg and it was just dangling on the deer broken.

Anywhoo.....tracked the deer a long way. When I found it, it was on the ground gurgling for air as expected with a lung shot. It's broken leg had gotten tangled on some underbrush. So about 20 minutes into this painful debacle I ended the young bucks life with a head shot at close range.

Last edited:
I have killed 4 with the AR all heart shots and only one made it 15 yards before dropping the rest maybe 5 r 10 feet or where they stood. The 5.56x45 was designed for humans and works well. I have yet to kill a deer in Georgia that weighs more than me at 250 lbs.

I've taken deer and antelope with my ARs in Nebraska and a bunch of my buddies used them for coyotes and prairie dogs but I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't kill anything he's not going to eat. Have a look at the regs though. I don't know about here but there you could only have a 5 round mag+ one in the pipe in a semi-auto.

I will be getting an AR15 soon and was going to hunt with it some this year. Just curious who hunts with theirs...what are you hunting?

Back
Top Bottom