• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who Owns & Carries a Slim Single-Stack 9mm?

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying an ultra slim 7 to 9 shot capacity 9 mm as a replacement for a J -frame 38 snubby that only holds five rounds.

I already own two other 9 mm pistols, but they both use a double stack magazine and therefore the frame is over an inch wide; I think one is 1.1 inches and the other is 1.2 or 1.3 inches.

The guns I'm looking at--the Smith $ Wesson M&P Shield, the Walther PPS, the Springfield XDS (9mm), and the Glock 43-- are all slim. About 0.9" wide.

So, I'd like some input from people who have bought such weapons a while ago and had a chance to carry them. What do you think? How much better are they for concealed carry compare to a fatter gun that has basically the same height and the same length but 1/3 of an inch more thickness?

P.S. There wouldn't be any weight savings over my compact staggered-mag 9mm.
But any of these single stack slim 9 mm's would add up to considerably more weight than the 15 ounce alloy frame .38 snubnose that I'm carrying most of the time now.

BOTTOM LINE- I don't want to buy something I "think" I'll carry, but end up not carrying.

I used to forget my shield was in my pocket. Funny story - when I was at a gas station when I first started carrying, I couldn't feel my wallet (sweat pants). So I emptied my pockets onto the counter real quick and out plops my shield in front of the cashier. We both had an awkward moment. I paid for my gas, and vowed to carry it in a holster if I'm not home to avoid little interactions like that again.

I've been carrying a xds 9 for the past few years and love it. Currently starting the move to the P365. With that said I am not a "portly" man so the single stack work great for me. I just can't hide or comfortably carry a double stack unless I dress like a baggy clothed gangsta (which is not going to happen).

I've owned my Shield 9mm for nearly 3 years. For most of the time I alternated it with my G19. Its my only EDC now. For over a year it was my BUG on duty. I've got it set up with Taran Tactical +2 base plates and idot night sights, carried in a CompTac Mtac IWB holster. Very comfy all day long. And an easy way to carry 11 rounds of 9mm in a reliable, affordable package.

IMG_1658.JPG

Back
Top Bottom