• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Whole House Water Filtration

harrycalahan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
116   0
Reaction score
Im in the market for one. Any recommendations from the great Odt? This is for municipal water and Im mainly wanting to filter light sediment and what I call heavy chlorine (havent tested it). Ive been browsing Amazon but thought Id see what yalls experiences have been. Thanks.............

Im in the market for one. Any recommendations from the great Odt? This is for municipal water and Im mainly wanting to filter light sediment and what I call heavy chlorine (havent tested it). Ive been browsing Amazon but thought Id see what yalls experiences have been. Thanks.............
research what you are drinking it will shock you, i am in lithia sp. we do not drink the water!

I was very happy with a system from Pelican which I used in a Cobb County home for about ten years. Had to recharge the replaceable media once in that time. The water taste improved dramatically after I installed this system. The one drawback was how the system impacted whole house pressure. While you could still take a shower, it no longer had the same force as before the filter (shower massage function rendered useless). And I was unable to adjust the house water pressure regulator to provide more pressure. Even with that minor item I would install this system again.

I've got a Rain Soft whole house system that I got through a Home Depot subcontractor. I got one of the free water test kits at the store and sent it off then I got a call from the testing agency who comes out and tests your water. It was shocking how much chlorine was in our water and it was really hard to argue with the results he was showing us sitting right there watching him. In all the system cost us about $7000 and to me ,it was well worth it. Until that day I never realized how much chlorine you pick up simply being in the shower aside from what you drink. Not sure if Home Depot still does this or not.Attached a couple of pictures of the system.Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.
2015-02-23 19.17.42.jpg
2015-02-23 19.18.30.jpg

When I had a well, I used a sediment filter for the supply line to the house, and a carbon block on the kitchen sink for drinking water. Taste was fine.

Now with county water, I installed a drinking water only faucet in the kitchen and it is fed through a carbon block filter. It takes the chlorine out and improves the taste.

With municipal water, you should not need a sediment filter.

When I had a well, I used a sediment filter for the supply line to the house, and a carbon block on the kitchen sink for drinking water. Taste was fine.

Now with county water, I installed a drinking water only faucet in the kitchen and it is fed through a carbon block filter. It takes the chlorine out and improves the taste.

With municipal water, you should not need a sediment filter.
You shouldnt need a sediment filter but you do. County lines are filthy. That goes for every county. Ever seen how sanitary repairs are when theyre made? Mud goes right into the lines. And if you ever see the fire department test a hydrant, you'll see loads of stuff come out when they open it up. And then your water is cloudy for the next day until it clears/settles. Anyways, Ive installed two regulators in less than 8 years due to debris. Every time Ive shut the main off to do repairs, Ive had discolored water when opening it back up. And then there was the one time a year ago when the county made a main repair 8 houses down from me. My water turned mud red.

You shouldnt need a sediment filter but you do. County lines are filthy. That goes for every county. Ever seen how sanitary repairs are when theyre made? Mud goes right into the lines. And if you ever see the fire department test a hydrant, you'll see loads of stuff come out when they open it up. And then your water is cloudy for the next day until it clears/settles. Anyways, Ive installed two regulators in less than 8 years due to debris. Every time Ive shut the main off to do repairs, Ive had discolored water when opening it back up. And then there was the one time a year ago when the county made a main repair 8 houses down from me. My water turned mud red.

Water main repairs are often made under some degree of pressure so that water is constantly escaping but not going back into the pipe. If the pipe is "shut down" and the pressure goes to zero, the utility is supposed to issue a boiled water advisory. If you see them doing otherwise I would suggest reporting it. Although, as a practical matter the chlorine residual in the water will kill anything that might harm you anyway (unless there is tons of stuff in the water and the residual is consumed.

The red stuff is mainly Tuberculation in cast iron pipes and polyphosphates designed to coat the inside of pipes to prevent lead and other contaminants to dissolve into the water. Both are broken loose when high velocity in the line is encountered.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/36615975/Corrosion-and-Tuberculation-in-Iron-Pipes

I'n not saying there is nothing in the lines by any means. There are small amounts of non-dissolved solids in most any drinking water. These solids can settle out and be flushed out during a hydrant flow test or water main break.

Check the PH as well.

Here in Sandy Springs I have good tasting water, and PH is right at 7.

We do use a Brita pitcher, but no difference in taste.

You should see the sediment that comes from a well. My muni water has undetectable sediment compared to a well.

Whole house will cause a pressure drop, if you can handle it, goforit. Ease of finding replacement filters and cost is the main factor in finding a filter system.

Back
Top Bottom