• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who's shooting GADPA?

The GADPA matches are well run, and a ton of fun. I'd highly recommend that you make the trip out. I'll be there Sunday.

Here are all the stages from last month's match (video courtesy of member yrualeg here, who is a Range Officer for the weekly matches at Trading Place Pawn):

Yeah, I'll have to get out there and TP. Looks like fun.

Shot IDPA at GMSA today. Their 50yd range is now open so we shot 7 stages with no resets. Had a real good time even though I had a couple rough stages. Learned a couple new rules (can't drop an empty mag WITH a loaded chamber) and got better through the day so I call it a good day!

You guys should check it out. Also note that the last Saturday in August is their 3gun match!

Shot IDPA at GMSA today. Their 50yd range is now open so we shot 7 stages with no resets. Had a real good time even though I had a couple rough stages. Learned a couple new rules (can't drop an empty mag WITH a loaded chamber) and got better through the day so I call it a good day!

You guys should check it out. Also note that the last Saturday in August is their 3gun match!

Bold - silly stuff like that is why I much prefer the new GADPA rules.

Bold - silly stuff like that is why I much prefer the new GADPA rules.
I know what you're saying and do look forward to checking out GADPA. I do, however see the point in that rule, even if it cost me a PE.

I'm really just out there to improve my defensive carry and shooting skills. I got some very good advice from a been-there-done-that guy once: playing by the house rules, even ones you think are knit-picky, will make you more adaptable and in turn, a better shooter.

IDPA lost me when they implemented that stupid no reloading on the move rule. They rolled it back, but the damage was done. I was already annoyed with the 10 round mag cap and having to retain magazines that I hadn't run to slide lock with.

I know these are all games, and not substitutes for real training. However, I still want to get the most that I can out of them. Toss your partially filled magazines, keep them, throw them at the target; GADPA doesn't care. I really like that.

Now, those GMSA 3 gun matches... I'd like to check those out. Reloading a shotgun fast is just so darn hard to do well.

I must ask what that point is. I'm not trying to be fecetious, I really do want to know and make sure that I'm not missing some tool that I should have in my toolbox.

Hey man, we shot together on "Team Pete" so I understand that you're sincere :thumb:

I have to start by saying that I'm just learning the IDPA rules and still a noob. This is just my perception here, with the assumption that the goal of IDPA (as they state) is to improve your defensive pistol skills.

In a gunfight, you will most likely not be counting rounds. Dropping a mag before you're at slide lock means you've either counted rounds, got lucky that the mag was empty (as in my case), or that you're dropping rounds you may need later in the fight. I could see that being lucky should count, but it wouldn't really help build a useful skill. It certainly helped in my case today. I didn't drop another loaded mag, but did drop at slide lock when needed.

I was thinking about the no moving rule today and the reason for it. I MAY have come up with it. LOL

Hey man, we shot together on "Team Pete" so I understand that you're sincere :thumb:

I have to start by saying that I'm just learning the IDPA rules and still a noob. This is just my perception here, with the assumption that the goal of IDPA (as they state) is to improve your defensive pistol skills.

In a gunfight, you will most likely not be counting rounds. Dropping a mag before you're at slide lock means you've either counted rounds, got lucky that the mag was empty (as in my case), or that you're dropping rounds you may need later in the fight. I could see that being lucky should count, but it wouldn't really help build a useful skill. It certainly helped in my case today. I didn't drop another loaded mag, but did drop at slide lock when needed.

I was thinking about the no moving rule today and the reason for it. I MAY have come up with it. LOL

Speaking of Pete, let me know if you ever hear that he's coming back in town to run a class.

I suppose I just can't imagine a scenario where a failure to top off during a clear break in action would be of any tactical value.

I see:
Attacked by one threat: stop threat, search and assess for other threats, reload, continue to asses for other threats
Attacked by multiple threats: stop all threats, reload, continue to asses for other threats

If the gun runs dry in any scenario, a reload would obviously be the next step. But, if the gun didn't run dry, I'd absolutely reload during the first clear window of opportunity. Counting rounds would never be a factor. The presence of, or lack there of, an imminent threat would be the only driver.

I felt that the IDPA rules drove me to count rounds far more than I would have otherwise.

Speaking of Pete, let me know if you ever hear that he's coming back in town to run a class.

I suppose I just can't imagine a scenario where a failure to top off during a clear break in action would be of any tactical value.

I see:
Attacked by one threat: stop threat, search and assess for other threats, reload, continue to asses for other threats
Attacked by multiple threats: stop all threats, reload, continue to asses for other threats

If the gun runs dry in any scenario, a reload would obviously be the next step. But, if the gun didn't run dry, I'd absolutely reload during the first clear window of opportunity. Counting rounds would never be a factor. The presence of, or lack there of, an imminent threat would be the only driver.

I felt that the IDPA rules drove me to count rounds far more than I would have otherwise.

I think you forgot the most important step... Selfie with the perp and post to Instagram!

LOL. But seriously, I can see situations where dropping that mag, loaded or not, would be preferable to taking the time to stow it. Times when you need to put rounds down range as fast as possible and have a short window for reload. It's a lot of what ifs but. I think being adaptable to the situation is key. At least that's what I tell myself.

About Pete, we may have caught lightning in a bottle having him come down last year. While looking for that "Safety Stick" round excluder he was bringing to market (bought a couple BTW) I saw that he is Operations Director for a new indoor range in Idaho Falls http://gngsports.com/academy/instructor-bios/. I don't know if he's doing the traveling gig now. I'd love to train with him again, but now I'm dumping money into 3 gun. :eek:
Don't worry about being fast with that shotgun. Just come on out next month! I guarantee you won't be the slowest!

Back
Top Bottom