• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who's shooting GADPA?

I'm planning to check out both GADPA and IDPA this week some time. Will watch the first time and then get clip belts and proper gears. After doing some research, I am leaning more toward GADPA. SharpShooter USA on Mondays is where I am leaning. I live in North Alpharetta/Cumming/Johns Creek area.

Just found a Johns Creek Indoor Gun Range one on Thursday so I will be checking that out tomorrow evening. :)
http://www.gadpa.com/JohnsCreek

The GADPA matches are well run, and a ton of fun. I'd highly recommend that you make the trip out. I'll be there Sunday.

Here are all the stages from last month's match (video courtesy of member yrualeg here, who is a Range Officer for the weekly matches at Trading Place Pawn):

That looks like so much fun.

I don't have gears yet like 3 mag holster, ear and eye protection yet so I will have to start looking for deals.

Best way to get going is just to shoot!

If you've got a 16+ capacity gun... just carry your spare mag in a pocket. You "can" get away with 2 mags if your gun is large enough.

Eyes and ears... just rent some! Shooting is way more fun than watching!

Either way... see you there this eve.

Best way to get going is just to shoot!

...Shooting is way more fun than watching!

+1 on this. You'll have time to watch those ahead of you in the squad. Just take it slow, especially the draw and reholster, watch your muzzle at all times, keep your finger off the trigger until sights are on target and enjoy yourself.

BTW, IDPA at Georgia Mountain this Saturday morning with an IDPA qualifier to be shot afterward (starting at 2:00.) :thumb:

+1 on this. You'll have time to watch those ahead of you in the squad. Just take it slow, especially the draw and reholster, watch your muzzle at all times, keep your finger off the trigger until sights are on target and enjoy yourself.

BTW, IDPA at Georgia Mountain this Saturday morning with an IDPA qualifier to be shot afterward (starting at 2:00.) :thumb:

Great recommendations and tips, guys! Much appreciate it.

In your opinion which organization would you recommend to join - GADPA or IDPA? From the research I did, GADPA seems more attractive to me because they would help me get to a higher level of shooter (better accuracy) than IDPA especially for self-defense / family-defense purposes.

The downside for GADPA is that their outdoor match is over 1:15 hr from my home in Alpharetta.

Great recommendations and tips, guys! Much appreciate it.

In your opinion which organization would you recommend to join - GADPA or IDPA? From the research I did, GADPA seems more attractive to me because they would help me get to a higher level of shooter (better accuracy) than IDPA especially for self-defense / family-defense purposes.

The downside for GADPA is that their outdoor match is over 1:15 hr from my home in Alpharetta.
As you can see from earlier in this thread, that's a slightly loaded question. IMHO, either will make you a better shooter, though some even disagree on that point.

Shoot wherever you feel the most comfortable, or shoot both! There are even some club level "tactical" matches with fewer rules and eliminate the draw and start each stage from a low-ready. It's a good way to practice movement and good muzzle control. That's what I started with a few years ago. Investing in some good basic training is also wise.

BTW, I'm driving about the same distance to shoot the IDPA outdoor match. Opportunities the shoot outdoors are just becoming more scarce these days.

Back
Top Bottom