• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who's shooting GADPA?

The fact that anyone is seriously comparing the rules of a game, be it IDPA, USPSA or the gadpa off shoot to real world tactics doesn't really make sense to me. If an individual were in fact serious about using the match for training, in my estimation that person wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle about a Procedural Error and how it would affect their score. It seems to me that an individual that was serious about training value would accept the penalties and move on with the understanding that the score is irrelevant in the context of training value and real world applicability.

IDPA has spent a fair amount of effort attempting to cater to new shooters with a skewed perception of the intent of the game, that's a shame.

Last edited:
The fact that anyone is seriously comparing the rules of a game, be it IDPA, USPSA or the gadpa off shoot to real world tactics doesn't really make sense to me. If an individual were in fact serious about using the match for training, in my estimation that person wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle about a Procedural Error and how it would affect their score. It seems to me that an individual that was serious about training value would accept the penalties and move on with the understanding that the score is irrelevant in the context of training value and real world applicability.

Perhaps a weeee bit abrasive :rolleyes:, but yeah, the goal is improving your defensive shooting skills. Any time spent being forced to think and make decisions while holding a firearm, whether to game the rules or stay within them, is time well spent, IMO. Most folks I see don't get too bent out of shape about things, but it's human nature to want to see your performance awarded a good score. That's drilled into us from the time we take aim at our first target. By that I mean the potty.

IDPA has spent a fair amount of effort attempting to cater to new shooters with a skewed perception of the intent of the game, that's a shame.

Can you expand on that? I haven't been around that long and don't know the history of the rules changes.

Perhaps a weeee bit abrasive :rolleyes:, but yeah, the goal is improving your defensive shooting skills. Any time spent being forced to think and make decisions while holding a firearm, whether to game the rules or stay within them, is time well spent, IMO. Most folks I see don't get too bent out of shape about things, but it's human nature to want to see your performance awarded a good score. That's drilled into us from the time we take aim at our first target. By that I mean the potty.

Therein lies the difference between training and competition. While a novice shooter can learn several valuable skills, most notably safe pistol handling skills and holster skills.

The idea of running through a shoot house is bad. Structure clearing takes a lot of time if done properly.

Running to cover to initiate a reload is not always the best answer to a problem.
Etc.

Can you expand on that? I haven't been around that long and don't know the history of the rules changes.

Over the years, IDPA had gone from a sport that placed emphasis on shooting skills to a bastardized version of USPSA. This change really happened at the club level when many clubs figured out that they drew in more shooters and thus revenue with the more complicated stages. As some of these clubs grew bigger and drew in more members to the parent organization they had a little more clout in rules revisions.

Manufacturers have also had a large impact. For instance, the new CCP division is based on the dimensions of the G19 and M&P Compact. A CZ P-07, which is only slightly larger than a G19 in two dimensions does not fit the criteria.

I'm well aware that all the rules can't suit all the shooters. I take my lumps and move on when I attend a match no matter which roscoe I chose to shoot.

ETA: the latest rule revision has done away with a lot of the silliness, including the Flat Footed Reload mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
Therein lies the difference between training and competition. While a novice shooter can learn several valuable skills, most notably safe pistol handling skills and holster skills.

The idea of running through a shoot house is bad. Structure clearing takes a lot of time if done properly.

Running to cover to initiate a reload is not always the best answer to a problem.
Etc.

Over the years, IDPA had gone from a sport that placed emphasis on shooting skills to a bastardized version of USPSA. This change really happened at the club level when many clubs figured out that they drew in more shooters and thus revenue with the more complicated stages. As some of these clubs grew bigger and drew in more members to the parent organization they had a little more clout in rules revisions.

Manufacturers have also had a large impact. For instance, the new CCP division is based on the dimensions of the G19 and M&P Compact. A CZ P-07, which is only slightly larger than a G19 in two dimensions does not fit the criteria.

I'm well aware that all the rules can't suit all the shooters. I take my lumps and move on when I attend a match no matter which roscoe I chose to shoot.

ETA: the latest rule revision has done away with a lot of the silliness, including the Flat Footed Reload mentioned earlier.

No doubt that competition is no substitute for training. In my case and at my point in "The Journey" they have enhanced each other. I probably would not have sought training if I hadn't started competing and the training helped me refine and improve my performance in matches. Any timed event would be poor training for house clearing, but then again house clearing isn't really "defensive" unless you are trying to access a loved one in an unknown environment. I do have to admit that I favor the more complicated stages. I now try to approach them in a more tactical way, which the IDPA rules fostered, regardless of time. I'd like to run some force-on-force eventually, but there are only so many free weekends. lol

I think we can all agree that all of it has it's merits and drawbacks. I guess it's like anything else, you get out what you put in based on your goals. I know that I will be scored in a real life scenario, but that will be more pass-fail than time+PD/2+penalties.

Good video! I like LV and know that he has forgotten more about pistol craft than I'll ever know. BUT, I do have to give him a ding. He's supposed to be showing the proper way to slice the pie, but his HAT BILL leads the way around every barrel! :tsk:

C'mon, man! Turn that hat around and operate!:cool:

I have been shooting with GADPA since almost the beginning. Helping to set up the matches and working most of them as a Safety Officer. First with IDPA and now with "GADPA". They are both games and heck it is still shooting. I also shoot IDPA with Cherokee IDPA in Gainesville.
I also shoot most Thursdays at American heritage in McDonough. Mostly GADPA but we are a legal IDPA club and have some IDPA too. Relaxed and a lot of fun there. First time come for a 6:00 new Shooter briefing after that be geared up signed in and ready to go at 7:00. We get in three or four stages usually 75-100 rounds.
The two GADPA matches at South River have gone well, about 70 shooters. New computerized sign in and squad up make it nice and easy.
PM me if you have any questions, I will be glad to help.

I'm planning to check out both GADPA and IDPA this week some time. Will watch the first time and then get clip belts and proper gears. After doing some research, I am leaning more toward GADPA. SharpShooter USA on Mondays is where I am leaning. I live in North Alpharetta/Cumming/Johns Creek area.

Back
Top Bottom