• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why cowitness RMR?

Moondog1

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
183   0
Reaction score
I've been looking at putting some sort of small red dot, fastfire, deltapoint, rmr, on a glock 17. I shot a Fast Fire 3 the other day without cowitnessed sights and it was really nice! I was thinking, don't the cowitnessed sights just block your limited field of view on a pistol setup? I get that RMR's, deltapoints, and all of the red dots can break and then iron's you could see would be beneficial... but I'll never have this particular pistol with me if the situation came where I needed a pistol lol. What am I missing here? Also, if it helps my whole point for the red dot or taller sights options are to see over a can.

Most people that run optics are competition shooters or "operators" (sarcasm) and the taller sights are for backup. I am putting some on my 19MOS just to have irons on it if I ever carry it. I use my red dot to shoot with my can, and you need taller sights for that as well.

If you are just shooting it at the range, there is no need really.

Think of it as a lower 3rd cowitness like on a rifle. The irons are only visible if you position yourself for the to be. It would be a requirement for me, as Murphy has a way to destroy all electronic devices in my life.

Think of it as a lower 3rd cowitness like on a rifle. The irons are only visible if you position yourself for the to be. It would be a requirement for me, as Murphy has a way to destroy all electronic devices in my life.

You shouldn't need to co-witness an RMR, but I do on a Glock 34 MOS, I run for 3 gun.
I shoot in the "Open" division already because of the magazine fed shotgun and find with my old heart pounding and rushing adrenaline and these old eyes to boot, I'm much more one shot accurate with the handgun with the RMR on it. So I run the course faster.

History;

There was a problem with the screw lengths to mount the RMR on the MOS Glock's.
They were too long, so many of us just cut the screws down to fit.
On a rare occasion we have had the light go out (because of a bad battery contact with the gun, we believe) only to come back on one shot later and work for the rest of the day.

Anyone who has ever had a lighted optic go out on their rifle in a 3 gun match can tell you how bad it sucks not to have a backup.
(It's one of the reasons I have a Meprolight on my Colt M4. I've seen it happen too others too many times to think I'd be immune.)

Trijicon now has a "kit" to fix this problem. It's a plate that mounts between the MOS plate and the RMR and it comes with 2 of the proper length screws. This fixes the problem permanently.

However, since a battery can still go dead or the RMR could die a set of Dawson Precision tritium sights which can be seen, but are low in the viewing area are a really nice touch.

Now I have the RMR07, the RMR05 is dual illuminated. Like the Meprolight on my rifle the RMR05 will never go out. Unfortunately it is colored amber and I find that hard to see.

Links if you need them;
http://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon-rmr-mounting-kit.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AV9IUHY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Yea, it's mainly for back up in case of power loss, but it serves others purposes as well. I use them for my rifles, so it allows me to keep my cheek weld the same as it was with irons.

Also, the lower onto the irons you get the dot, the less concern you have with hold over at short distance.

Those are the pros, the cons I'm not too familiar with.

Cool thanks for the replies, I'm familiar with them on rifles. I bet it would be very frustrating not to have backup in a 3 gun event(never shot one).

Most people that run optics are competition shooters or "operators" (sarcasm) and the taller sights are for backup. I am putting some on my 19MOS just to have irons on it if I ever carry it. I use my red dot to shoot with my can, and you need taller sights for that as well.

If you are just shooting it at the range, there is no need really.

To be OAF!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom