• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Why do folks put scopes on their deer hunting rifles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where are you taking 500yd shots at anything in Georgia?

end to end... the area I hunt would be very close to 500 yards or a little over. However, the field stand is setup almost smack dab in the middle so the longest shot you would have to take is about 275.

I use scopes on rifles for many reasons.

1. Deer can spot movement like hawks and the less unnecessary movements I don't have to make the better.
I can get a good, magnified look at the deer I am watching to make sure it's big enough, mature enough or meets antler requirements especially when they are moving in cover.

2..I don't want to move my rifle and risk moving again to bring binoculars up to my face, then moving again to bring my rifle back up....that's a lot of possible movement that the deer can see to get spooked and run.......I spooked a trophy buck of a lifetime at a WMA for doing exactly that last season.
I lost sight of him when he stopped and I blinked my eyes and he disappeared.
After a couple minutes of zero movement I debated using my binos to search him out and when I brought them up to my face...he jumped up and bolted like lightning and was gone.

3. I can use my scope as I would my binoculars......get a good look at the deer or several deer to pick the one I want and maintain a magnified look on them without switching from rifle to binos back to rifle and never have to make barely any motion at all other than following the deer as it moves.

I'm sticking with scopes all the way.

So basically you are saying that piss on the rules of gun safety then.

So basically you are saying that piss on the rules of gun safety then.

where are you getting that?

I see a bunch of deer.. I look at them through my scope to pick out the best one... I have full intention of destroying anything I point my scope/rifle at. If I shoot the little one by mistake... oh well. Its not like he is sniping hedgehogs off a 4 year olds shoulder through a window at chucky cheese man.

where are you getting that?

I see a bunch of deer.. I look at them through my scope to pick out the best one... I have full intention of destroying anything I point my scop/rifle at. If I shoot the little by mistake... oh well. Its not like he is sniping hedgehogs off a 4 year olds shoulder through a window at chucky cheese man.

I can't believe you bit at that one.

Trolling: Internet slang term used to describe any Internet user behavior that is meant to intentionally anger or frustrate someone else. It is often associated with online discussions where users are subjected to offensive or superfluous posts and messages in order to provoke a response.

Trolling: Internet slang term used to describe any Internet user behavior that is meant to intentionally anger or frustrate someone else. It is often associated with online discussions where users are subjected to offensive or superfluous posts and messages in order to provoke a response.

lol... i know. I am fully aware of outsydlooknin's reputation around here and his antics. I am in a troll smashing mood today though...

today... dont hassle 07jkx hoss

maybe I am just looking for a fight... i would rather it happen here than on the side of 575 on the way home today.

only b/c its raining

lol... i know. I am fully aware of outsydlooknin's reputation around here and his antics. I am in a troll smashing mood today though...

today... dont hassle 07jkx hoss

maybe I am just looking for a fight... i would rather it happen here than on the side of 575 on the way home today.

only b/c its raining

[Broken External Image]:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom