• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Why do folks put scopes on their deer hunting rifles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No scopes on Mine. Target verification through binoculars.
Also, I've often wondered why people need to take more than 3 (ok I'll give you 5) rounds into the woods.

If you know me, you know right away that I am almost "anti-optic". But.....I will scope a meal gun because I believe in a steady, humane, well placed shot.

I saw a guy at the check station with a doe he had to shoot 3 times, 1st was way high above the left sholder, 2nd blew the top part of her nose/mouth off then the 3rd in the head. I thought, poor deer.

I use scopes on rifles for many reasons.

1. Deer can spot movement like hawks and the less unnecessary movements I don't have to make the better.
I can get a good, magnified look at the deer I am watching to make sure it's big enough, mature enough or meets antler requirements especially when they are moving in cover.

2..I don't want to move my rifle and risk moving again to bring binoculars up to my face, then moving again to bring my rifle back up....that's a lot of possible movement that the deer can see to get spooked and run.......I spooked a trophy buck of a lifetime at a WMA for doing exactly that last season.
I lost sight of him when he stopped and I blinked my eyes and he disappeared.
After a couple minutes of zero movement I debated using my binos to search him out and when I brought them up to my face...he jumped up and bolted like lightning and was gone.

3. I can use my scope as I would my binoculars......get a good look at the deer or several deer to pick the one I want and maintain a magnified look on them without switching from rifle to binos back to rifle and never have to make barely any motion at all other than following the deer as it moves.

I'm sticking with scopes all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom