• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Why do folks put scopes on their deer hunting rifles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scope schmope.... I usually just chase them down with a football bat.

Sometime I get completely naked, soak my self in scent away and cover up in leaves and sticks, I then skidaddle up a tree with my trusty mini swiss army knife and wait for them to come by, when I see a deer I pull out the butt out tool and slam it in the deers back side REAL hard, with a rope attaching it to a tree. When they haul ass and the rope tightens the BUTT OUT tool blows their ass hole out and they fall down form pain, then I leap on them and cut their throat with my swiss army knife, then I field dress them, and leave everything but the heart hanging, and I eat the heart to keep the strength of a warrior.

I do all of this with a mini swiss army knife, maybe a 2" blade.

THis is a funny place. In one thread you'll get the majority agreeing that you need a scope for the 500 yard shot. Then in another you get the majority agreeing that sitting in a box waiting for something to come walking by is not really hunting.

My question is how do you make a > 300 yard shot without some sort of firm stand?

Really? in GA do you need to take > 150 yard shots to get your limit? I admit I do most of my hunting in FL, so I am not an expert on GA hunting landscape. Often I hunt on a power line or gas line. And sometimes see a dear 300 yards off, but I do not feel I have to take that shot. I admit the low-light aspect makes a scope nice but in my world it is not necessary to "fill the freezer".

In full disclosure, let me say I used to hunt about 1/2 the time with a scope, until I found out about peep sights on my hunting rifles. The peep has made my "iron-sight" shooting, much more reliable. In my hunting life, this discovery has made a scope nothing but excess baggage.

Sometime I get completely naked, soak my self in scent away and cover up in leaves and sticks, I then skidaddle up a tree with my trusty mini swiss army knife and wait for them to come by, when I see a deer I pull out the butt out tool and slam it in the deers back side REAL hard, with a rope attaching it to a tree. When they haul ass and the rope tightens the BUTT OUT tool blows their ass hole out and they fall down form pain, then I leap on them and cut their throat with my swiss army knife, then I field dress them, and leave everything but the heart hanging, and I eat the heart to keep the strength of a warrior.

I do all of this with a mini swiss army knife, maybe a 2" blade.

[Broken External Image]:

THis is a funny place. In one thread you'll get the majority agreeing that you need a scope for the 500 yard shot. Then in another you get the majority agreeing that sitting in a box waiting for something to come walking by is not really hunting.

My question is how do you make a > 300 yard shot without some sort of firm stand?

Really? in GA do you need to take > 150 yard shots to get your limit? I admit I do most of my hunting in FL, so I am not an expert on GA hunting landscape. Often I hunt on a power line or gas line. And sometimes see a dear 300 yards off, but I do not feel I have to take that shot. I admit the low-light aspect makes a scope nice but in my world it is not necessary to "fill the freezer".

In full disclosure, let me say I used to hunt about 1/2 the time with a scope, until I found out about peep sights on my hunting rifles. The peep has made my "iron-sight" shooting, much more reliable. In my hunting life, this discovery has made a scope nothing but excess baggage.
To each his own, but on leases, I've seen many in the >300 range. my dad had one somewhere around 650 ish on a hunting lease using a weatherby 30-378 and leupold optic. I like the enhanced sight picture of a scope and crosshairs so that I know exactly where my bullet is going.

Hell I scope my airsoft gun just for looks. Nothing like spending hard earned money on say acog, leupold mark 4 ,any nice optic just kicks the **** out of my eyes just can't compare. To each his own mine are scoped.

I really thought this was a trick question from the start

Originally Posted by snake dr
I often wondered what the significance to having a scope on a rifle that you intend on shooting a large animal in the side with it anyway.
Wouldn't it be easier to skip the scope cost and the sighting, and just shoot the deer in it's side using iron sights?

Not really a trick question, but I see a lot of deer with their guts blown out their sides, shot in the legs, and shot several more times to kill it with said hunter posing with a scoped rifle.

To me, if you want to hunt and know nothing about mounting or sighting a scope, then have someone else do it.

If you can't group 3 shots in 6" at 100 yds, with a scope, from a bench rest, then you need to practice more before going out making poorly placed shots.

If you cant group 3 shots in 6" at 50 yds free handed, with iron sights, same applies as above.

If my rifle want group 3 bullets at 100 yds, that you can cover with a quarter, it won't be going hunting with me.

What's the point in having a precision instrument mounted to your rifle if all you are going to do is point and shoot, or spray and pray.
I use my scope to look at potential targets (deer, bear, yotes, and sometimes trespassers).
I also hunt my own land, therefore if you get "scoped" by me then you shouldn't be on my land.
Let's be careful out there and stay on the land that you are permitted to hunt and you won't be getting "scoped" by me.

I'm more of the aim small miss small type hunter.
I like the head shot, because there is a quick and humane death, no tracking involved, and there isn't any meat wasted from being bloodshot or contaminated with guts.

VLR TEAM SNAKE DR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom