• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why I no longer ride motorcycles

Actually, it might get better: Auto braking has the potential to at least lessen the impact, if not avoid the accident altogether. You can't depend on the meat robot behind the wheel to do it. Maybe the software and sensors in a new-ish car can help.
That was my first thought.

I love bikes but I had WAY too many close calls and minor wrecks that could have been much worse. I stay away from bikes now. Gray hairs make you think twice about things. I'm not anfraid of dying. It's the surviving, mangled , crippled part that I don't want. I knew a guy back in the 90s that hit a culvert with one leg in and one leg out. He lived for a few months after that.

March 11th 2002 was the last time (officially) riding for me. I do miss it terribly sometimes but after laying at the bottom of a cliff in north Georgia for almost two hours waiting to be found by the only person that knew I was riding that day. Bleeding out, broken back, fractured femur, compounded twice below the knee and internal bleeding… I made the ubiquitous bargain with God that if He would save me, I would serve him. He did His part and I try to do mine now.

A week in a coma and six months learning to walk again only to find out that I lost two friends in separate incidents over the same weekend… crazy thing is that no one else was involved in any of our accidents, we were playing, racing and I was curve riding and testing my chicken strips. Those that know, know! 😁

God be with this rider’s family!

I have seen plenty of motorcycle riders put motor vehicle drivers in danger, but their actions have never made me decide to no longer drive my truck.

Gave up too, sold my bike last November.

After almost 50 years on the street, it was time to let it go. For me it’s because I noticed so many drivers looking down at their phones, that and coming over the line at me.

I miss it a lot and sometimes think about buying a couple of small dual sport bikes for me and the wife. We can trailer them up to the Bull Mountain parking lot and ride the entire Chattahoochee National Forest. At least up there it seems like people watch where they’re going. There’s no service on the phones and if you don’t watch where you’re going you’ll end up in a world of hurt. It‘s about the only way I can see to putt around safely anymore. Such a shame….

I love bikes but I had WAY too many close calls and minor wrecks that could have been much worse. I stay away from bikes now. Gray hairs make you think twice about things. I'm not anfraid of dying. It's the surviving, mangled , crippled part that I don't want. I knew a guy back in the 90s that hit a culvert with one leg in and one leg out. He lived for a few months after that.
Hit it with what?

There is a difference between a calculated risk (deciding to ride) and reckless abandon (riding like an idiot). Is riding at all a stupid decision? Subjective relative to your life exposure I suppose.
Some people just hate riders for the sake of hating and feel superior in their cager that probably gives them the some sense of bravado they wouldn't have in the parking lot outside of their vehicle.
I love riding, I'm just not comfortable with the odds anymore for me personally. Is that self preservation? For me, calculating the risks, probably. For the next guy, his calculations may be different than mine. Doesn't mean he's stupid, just his factors in calculating the risk may be different.
Coming in here calling people stupid because they decide to ride, that's probably stupid.

Stupid? This conversation was polite until now.
But you are saying self preservation trumps all, doing otherwise is stupid right?
So you never drive to work or home right?
Odds of dying in a motor vehicle accident 1-93
Odds of dying from an accidental fall (vast majority are at home and from stumble or of slight heights) 1-98
How about walking? 1-485
Accidental overdose? 1-58
Motorcycle accident 1-747 (although they are admittedly gruesome, but dead is still just dead.) but they get in a lot less accidents over all.

Now about injuries? School sports or sports of any kind vastly out number injuries even keeping in the motor vehicle stats. Now let’s consider workplace injuries and deaths…

You cannot use “self preservation” as an argument as then there would be nothing that was safe and we would pretty much die out as a species.
You heathen . Oh, wait…

I've got an 09 Fatbob. Had to stop riding after my knees went out a few years ago. I'd trade mine in a heart beat for a nice scrambler or adventure bike half the weight
Did just that..well kinda. Kept the ElectraGlide and picked up a R NineT Scrambler. Been riding since I was 14 and turned 70 last month. I enjoy half the weight and the nimbleness of the scrambler. It’s not a long haul scoot but it’s a lot of fun.

Back
Top Bottom