• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why is the FDA Shielding Smokers from the GOOD News about E-Cigarettes?

The Federal government is conspiring against e-cigs b/c of the tax revenue? Really? You don't think they could just as easily tax e-cigarettes?

I do think these are a good idea for those wanting to work towards quitting, but the fact of the matter is that you are still getting nicotine and still have an addiction. You cut out the vast majority of the bad stuff from tobacco, but nicotine is still a toxin, and a pretty potent one.

My guess, admittedly without doing any research on it, is that people switching to e-cigs are not planning on quitting the habit, just the tar and other crap in tobacco. I think the FDA does not want to condone the ingestion of a toxin without a plan towards quitting like there is with the patch, etc.

Has any e-cig company produced a plan to quit nicotine that they have submitted for FDA approval? I am betting not, because that would be a plan to quit their product.

Don't get me wrong, I am for anything to get people to quit cigarettes - wish I could get my dad to switch to these. I wish everyone in the world who smokes cigarettes would and could switch to these. I hope 300's business goes completely through the roof and he becomes a gajilllionaire. But the article accusing the FDA of trying to protect tax revenue from cigarettes is disingenuous at best. I do think these are a huge health benefit for those who switch, but you can't really expect the FDA to condone a continuing nicotine addiction.
I disagree, nicotine is about as harmful, if not slightly less, than caffeine. Too much of anything is no bueno, but I think a lot of folks assume that nicotine is the "bad" stuff in cigs, when it is really one of the least dangerous ingredients / by-products.

I disagree, nicotine is about as harmful, if not slightly less, than caffeine. Too much of anything is no bueno, but I think a lot of folks assume that nicotine is the "bad" stuff in cigs, when it is really one of the least dangerous ingredients / by-products.

Lethal dose, from what I have read is 40-60 mg. That's pretty toxic!!!

I agree that it is not even close to as bad for your long term health as the other crap in cigs, but still not harmless!

In comparison, again from my cursory research, you can ingest 1000-1500 mg of caffeine before it has any truly concerning effects on the body besides making you act like a freaked out hamster.

Lethal dose, from what I have read is 40-60 mg. That's pretty toxic!!!

I agree that it is not even close to as bad for your long term health as the other crap in cigs, but still not harmless!

In comparison, again from my cursory research, you can ingest 1000-1500 mg of caffeine before it has any truly concerning effects on the body besides making you act like a freaked out hamster.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to marginalize any drug, but the affects on the body aren't that dissimilar to caffeine. My doctor agreed that caffeine was actually more of an issue for the body, but maybe that was just an opinion rather than a fact, not sure. I know a lot of guys who vape without any nic in their juice; in my opinion, it is harder to quit the oral fixation habit more than the nic.

Anyway, back to the topic, I do agree that the govt stands to lose a good chunk of tax revenue from decreased tobacco tax revenue, but I think it's also too early to tell where this will go as e-cigs users aren't nearly as widespread as cig smokers. It will be interesting to see where it goes!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to marginalize any drug, but the affects on the body aren't that dissimilar to caffeine. My doctor agreed that caffeine was actually more of an issue for the body, but maybe that was just an opinion rather than a fact, not sure. I know a lot of guys who vape without any nic in their juice; in my opinion, it is harder to quit the oral fixation habit more than the nic.

Anyway, back to the topic, I do agree that the govt stands to lose a good chunk of tax revenue from decreased tobacco tax revenue, but I think it's also too early to tell where this will go as e-cigs users aren't nearly as widespread as cig smokers. It will be interesting to see where it goes!

I would love to see these things put the tobacco industry out of business. Just got to figure out how to keep the farmers going.

OK I am the absolute worse when it comes to real cigarette smoke. I quit cold turkey in 1980 after smoking for 20 years. I wont go into details why other then cancer was involved. I wont even ride an elevator or MARTA because of the residual smell. It seems the current and near current generation has ignored any warnings about smoking (and rubbing). I see kids waiting for the school bus doing the same thing I did 50 years ago. WTF you will die from that crap and they have the knowledge handed to them. I would much rather see kids dragging on vape. Not my thing to suck on anything today, but to each his own. If it gets someone off coffin nails I'm for it. Let the farmers grow corn.

Jay you act like the government is out for our best interests and stupid.
Tobacco means big $$$$$$, from tax dollars to medical dollars.

You're correct, they want the tax revenue. But, they also want smokers to continue and get sick and die before they have to pay out social security and other benefits. They want to take in the tax revenue, but don't want to pay it out. It benefits them for smokers to die at 55.

Back
Top Bottom