• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why the 1911 for EDC...

The best choice is the one that works for you, that you shoot well and are comfortable with. Knew a guy once whose carry gun was a NAA .22 short revolver. It was his better choice.
True, a NAA mini revolver is better than a sharp stick or carrying nothing at all.

But if I carry a gun so that I can defend the lives of me and mine in a fight for our lives (which I think most people do), I want the best tool for the job (within reason, because someone is going to ask where I carry my Seal Team at lol). I'm trying to stop bad guys from doing bad things, not fighting squirrels.

Totally true, I was just providing objective data that is generally accepted as true.

Honestly though, you're right that ballistics technology has come a long way and there are a lot of people who do believe that a 9mm round will/can match .45acp ballistics/stopping power...

However there are a lot of people who do not subscribe to that belief. For those people, like myself, I will not trade 15 rounds of 9mm for my 8 rounds of .45.

That doesn't mean I'm right or wrong. It just means I'm hard-headed and the choice is up to the individual...the 1911 is right for me and the Glock 9mm is right for you, but neither of those options may be right for the next guy.

I am of the others who think the .45 is Better but I am also a ol war horse myself and have carried a 1911 for over 30 years.
I do not even realize that I sweep the safety off when I draw to shoot and it is just a natural motion for me.
I am not out to protect the masses I am only trying to protect me and my family and I travel a lot by myself.
Bad guys will do what they do and I will do what is necessary to protect myself and family, so I want something that is comfortable and points like I am pointing my finger.
We can debate .45 vs 9mm but both will kill a Dirt bag DRT without any issues but let me point out one thing - 9mm technology had to advance before it could reach and in some cases surpass some 1911 .45 Ballistics.
Now with all of that said I do now carry a 9mm Sig P320 and love it but I only carry it once in a while as I still love my 1911. YMMV

asset.jpg
I kinda like my Kimber,been carrying a 1911 since 1970....But I also carry a Glock,and on ocassion even a Smith........

Back
Top Bottom