• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

why trade only-No Sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me of a guy walking around a Dayton Ohio show with a SIG AMT in 1996. He was set on trading straight across for a FN/FAL 50.63. Nothing would deter him. It was the most aggravating thing that's ever happened at a show and I'm including the three NDs at three different shows I've attended since 1991.

At the time a 50.63 was about $2,500 and the AMT was being offered (when avail) for abuot $3,000. Nothing would change this guy's mind. Nothing. I finally did a Jed Clampitt (pulled out a wad of cash) and asked if "this was enough?" I had $3,500 on me that day and that's what I offered him for the rifle. He said, no. He was only looking to trade. I left, SMDH.
I had to google SIG AMT. Learned a new rifle. :thumb:

I did 2 Just trade, because my wife is watching me like a HAWK, She said we don't need any more weapons, but a buddy of mine gave me a S&W 5906, I hated it. So, I traded it for Sweet .380, and I traded a Ruger 44 for a Beretta PX-4 Subcompact. Both, weapons I love!!! The trade thing works for some people and not others, that's why ODT is unique!!!

For the life of me, I can't figure out why so many ads here at ODT are "trade only" ads.
They don't want to sell their stuff to a willing buyer with CASH in hand-- they only want to offer their stuff to a much smaller number (I assume) of people who happen to own, and are willing to part with, the specified things that the poster is seeking in trade.

Why would anybody refuse cash, with which they can BUY the kinds of things they're seeking from some other seller, either on this site or from some other site or vendor?

The only thing I can think of is that frequent gun sales, for cash, would be more likely to be seen as "engaged in the business" of dealing in firearms without an FFL. But I don't know that this is a complete defense to such a charge, should ATF decide to prosecute you anyway over your many gun deals that result in the net value of your gun collection increasing over time (which makes you wealthier, even if this asset is not liquid, not cash).

I even see "trade only" ads for archery equipment, muzzle-loaders, other hunting gear and supplies, the sort of stuff which could not possibly trigger an ATF investigation for dealing in firearms without an FFL.
Don't need cash, (for that particular item) just enjoy the fun of the trade.

I pulled off my first trade in 1965 at the age of 12 :), found a old rusted-up .25 automatic (loaded too) while playing in the attic of one of our empty sharecroppers houses, traded it for a nice bicycle (I didn't have one) & that was the gate-way drug for me :thumb:..........been hooked with trading firearms ever since. I can afford to buy but I get a certain enjoyment trading, even more so when both parties get what they're looking for, that's a double-winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom