Why would anyone buy your homebuilt Franken AR?

(Just stirring it up in The Pasture. No AR's or AR builders were harmed in the making of this post, and no offense intended :becky:)

If I was depending on an AR for my family's life or other self defense, why would I buy someone's homebuilt version rather than spend a few hundred dollars more for one from a respected manufacturer with well defined QC processes and thousands of rounds tested?

If it is just fun for plinking, don't I still have to make sure the barrel nut was torqued to spec, headspace etc etc etc? So why wouldn't I just put one together myself and get all the parts I want in it and know for sure it was done right?

:boink:
I would just think of it as buying all the parts in one fell swoop.

Headspace? Why does everyone like to talk about headspace? Unless you're installing your own barrel extensions, which no one I've encountered does, that really will never be an issue. The first half dozen or so that I built I had heard all this headpsace nonsense, so I developed my own method of checking headspace. On the first shot I squint my eyes and turn my head. After that it's not even something I would waste my time thinking about.

How much money does it cost to make sure it was built right?

Cause you ain't getting that either if you buy PSA, radical, bear creek, bushmaster and a ton of others.

That being said I would happily buy a home build from about 6 people here, and wouldnt from the other 20k unless it was a great deal.

But I also know how to fix what's ****ed up without a YouTube video playing.

^^This,
I'll trust my life any day to a rifle that I built compared to one built at a factory full of low paid robotic "laborers" who are just there to punch a clock.

I would just think of it as buying all the parts in one fell swoop.

Headspace? Why does everyone like to talk about headspace? Unless you're installing your own barrel extensions, which no one I've encountered does, that really will never be an issue. The first half dozen or so that I built I had heard all yhisnheadpsace nonsense, so I developed my own method of checking headspace. On the first shot I squint my eyes and turn my head. After that it's not even something I would waste my time thinking about.

Headspace is virtually a non issue. Though It's a useful sign to let you know who doesn't know what they're talking about.

That's what I'm saying. I don't care about the quality of the "build", all I care about when or if I buy one is the parts. I'm going to "re-build it" myself in the garage after a 6 pack of Dos Equis Ambers.

Back
Top Bottom