• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

When listing an AR on ODT, why would you list it as a M16?

So what about all those AR15s listed for sale that are really PA15s or CM15s, FN15 etc. Even Armalite, who the name AR was coined for/by lists their rifles as M15s. Last I checked it could not legally or technically be an AR15 unless it was made by Colt since they bought the rights and the name from Armalite. I see guns listed all the time as an AR15 when it would actually be listed on a 4473 as something else. Same with AR10. PSA never made an AR15 or AR10 but you see them listed every day. What's the difference? If I have a rifle and on the side it says "M16A4" then it is by law an M16A4 regardless of the FCG. That is much more accurate than all these non AR15s that get listed as AR15s and yet everyone excepts it without question. This is really a non issue as far as I can see.

This. Exactly.

Form, fit, and function. An M16 is a machine gun capable of bursts fully automatic fire, and requires a tax stamp to be legal.

If you can do that and you don’t have the proper licenses you can be subject to an extended stay at club fed.

M16A4 Clone

You and the ATF do not agree on this.

If the receiver is marked “M16A4”, then it is an M16A4. Full stop. Period. No additional “Clone” or “Faux” to be added, as that would be incorrect.

My issue Colt M16 in the Marine Corps said AR15 on the lower…IIRC. When we switched over to the A2, it said M16A2.
Reminds me of a time 20+ years ago on duty in the military. Several of us were posted in a guard shack curious and exploring how does the M16 fire control group work.

One of the guys popped open his duty weapon and we found his assigned duty weapon wasn’t an M16. It wasn’t capable of anything other than semi auto fire. (The first time he became aware of this).

It turned out that when the military does riot control the riot control line is unarmed and the 2 officers who are armed are equipped with semi automatic AR’s. Luck of the draw this was his assigned duty weapon.

Reminds me of a time 20+ years ago on duty in the military. Several of us were posted in a guard shack curious and exploring how does the M16 fire control group work.

One of the guys popped open his duty weapon and we found his assigned duty weapon wasn’t an M16. It wasn’t capable of anything other than semi auto fire. (The first time he became aware of this).

It turned out that when the military does riot control the riot control line is unarmed and the 2 officers who are armed are equipped with semi automatic AR’s. Luck of the draw this was his assigned duty weapon.
Sounds like you were Air Force too?

You and the ATF do not agree on this.

If the receiver is marked “M16A4”, then it is an M16A4. Full stop. Period. No additional “Clone” or “Faux” to be added, as that would be incorrect.

AR with tax stamp = legal full auto

This is what mine says

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 24
There are several companies nowadays that cater to the retro build market. I’ve seen lowers whose models are marked as “M16”, “M16A1”, and other variants. Someone would not be incorrect if they listed this lower as an “M16A1”.

View attachment 6800388
Dang, that was what I was about to chime in about.

Back
Top Bottom