• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wife wants a boat

A little update. Daughter is now at college and will not be joining us much. I would like for it to still be an option. Son is older and loves to fish. Wife just wants to be on the water. I am thinking at this point a 14-16 foot jon boat. Most fishing will be in the smaller parts of the Flint as well as WMA type lakes. Im thinking 500 lbs if all four of us not counting tackle and cooler. Do I need like a 9.9 or a 100hp? Im assuming wider is better what is considered wider? Yes its three years later and I have not pulled the trigger.

Been boating GA lakes and rivers for about 25 years now. Have had a number of boats over that time; spent a long time searching for the perfect boat. A unicorn, if ever there was one. Because water venues vary and boating pursuits are so numerous, you'll come to realize this is a moving target you may never hit.

Do you have a budget in mind? $1000 to $2000 gets you on the water and fishing in a used johnboat, or maybe a well-worn, small fiberglass bass rig with an older 2 stroke motor. $5000 gets you on the water in some sort of larger v-hull, or a well used pontoon or bass rig, and more use options become possible. Fish and ski models. Pontoon boats with specific fishing or cruising amenities. And so on, all the way up the food chain to open-water capable boats at $25K, $50K, $100K and more.

The word "boat," when your wife says "we should buy a boat," is critical. What does she want to do on the water? Fish? Cruise? Watersports?

If your only goal is to get to good fishing spots, a johnboat with a 10hp and under motor, and small, protected waters works. You could also go electric-only, if your sights are just set on small ponds. Rivers with any current are best left to gas power. 4 people in a johnboat is crowded, but not impossible. Should be a larger model.

If this goes beyond fishing, I would recommend a 16' aluminum v-hull with a 40hp or better motor, and an electric trolling motor. With that type of boat, you can fish any southeastern inland water, fish standing up, sitting down, trolling, and you can also cruise, and in a pinch, pull someone on a tube. With a bit more horsepower (60+), water skiing and wakeboarding become possible. Again, depends what you want to do.

The larger the boat, the more comfortable the time on the water, and the more resistant you are to not-ideal weather. And the more expensive it is to run (gas).

Other, miscellaneous thoughts: Pontoon boats are comfortable, but fishing in any kind of wind is a real chore. Four strokes are easy to live with, two strokes are a pain in the ass. Don't forget safety gear. Don't forget towing considerations. Don't forget registration and insurance costs. Learn boat ramp etiquette and how to efficiently launch and retrieve a boat.

EDITED TO ADD: Don't forget storage considerations. Garage? Shed? Backyard? Any HOA considerations?

You need an all welded aluminum jon boat. Same exact thing I'm planning on grabbing in few years to do exactly what you plan on doing. I'm looking an 1860 or a 1754. I love river fishing, I'm ready to get back into it.

Four people I would say pontoon but I would also say try renting a few different styles of boat first and see what works for you but with today's prices $5000 will get you a nice job boat. You can rent a boat on all the big lakes. Just take your time and find what works for all your needs.

Funny this was bumped. I am still on the look but Ive finally gotten around to seriously looking and listed other toys for sale.

Ive narrowed it down to 1448-16?? Jon boat with a 15-?? tiller steer or stick steer for the room. After talking with folks who fish the places we will this has been the general consensus. It will be two of us most of the time with a third when she can and a fourth would simply be going for a ride with little to no fishing. This will get us on the water and then we can decide how much we will use it and what we really need.

Funny this was bumped. I am still on the look but Ive finally gotten around to seriously looking and listed other toys for sale.

Ive narrowed it down to 1448-16?? Jon boat with a 15-?? tiller steer or stick steer for the room. After talking with folks who fish the places we will this has been the general consensus. It will be two of us most of the time with a third when she can and a fourth would simply be going for a ride with little to no fishing. This will get us on the water and then we can decide how much we will use it and what we really need.
16ft...25hp will push around 25mph ish loaded...

Back
Top Bottom