• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Winchester Trench gun

gapoppy1315

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
234   1
Reaction score
I picked up a Winchester trench gun model 97. Barrel has been cut to 18 1/2" or so (not the best job I've ever seen) and there is near zero blueing left. Wood is excellent. Bore has some pitting as well. Should I try to get someone to refinish it or just leave it be. I have very little in it so far.

terrible shame someone cut the barrel, but hard to tell when it happened so it might not have been as rare at that point

you could try cold blue, and follow every direction they give to prep the metal

for collection value ideally you would want to clean up as much of the rust as you can with a light cloth and some gun oil, then coat that sumbitch up so it doesn't spread... but with the barrel being cut collection value is as well.

if you want it to be usable and enjyoable (like I would) take it to somebody good and have it reblued or cerekoated Dobbs Deffense in Dallas would be the first place I'd ask about it that can clean it up proper and give it a good once over and clean bill of health. he can most likely also pretty up the end of the barrel for you

cera-kote will be the easiest way to have it done professionally, look to see which cer-kaote color matches the original bluing color if you want it to look more authentic

Here you go. Well away.

Attachments

• 20170222_184908.jpg
    20170222_184908.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom