• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Woman hunting hogs, mistakes man for hog in her thermal scope, and kills him

Article is probably vague due to on going investigation. Source: I've watched 10 years of Law & Order.

As many others have stated, there are many legitimate reasons why the hunter was on all four. I feel for both: it's a sh!tty way to die and a sh!tty way to kill someone.
Half of me feels for her. It probably never crossed her mind it was anything other than an animal and she probably thought she (and her group) were the only ones there and didn't bother to double check. I've been on a few thermal hunts and have been told "shoot anything that lights up". I can imagine that was the mindset, especially hog hunting. Wise Uncle Ben said "With great power (e.g. night vision equipment, night hunting, etc) comes great responsibility.
My other half realizes it's her fault. I hope she serves time and is an example of why we must be responsible. As hunters and gun enthusiasts, we are 100% responsible for every bullet that leaves our guns - no excuses.
Regardless, a father/son/brother/uncle is dead and the hunter who killed him will have to shoulder the burden for the rest of her life.

The best I could tell from the poorly written/informative article was they all had permission, but were they all aware of one another hunting?

I tell my Nephews that I don't care if they hunt my property, but let me know. Myself, and anyone else that is hunting my property needs to be informed of others with permission and their location. Anyone that doesn't have permission and gets shot, well then it's all on them.
I'm with you. I've never hunted on property while there were strangers there, but that was also during light for deer. Never been hog hunting. I can't believe just because she was hog hunting she thought it was okay to shoot without being sure of her target and what was beyond it. It could have just as easily been someone's pet.

Reminds me of a guy that took his son hunting on WMA. Son was getting ready to aim at what he thought was a deer in the distance and he told him to wait until he could see it clearly. It was a man on a horse. While the rider wasn't breaking the law, the hunter let him know it could be bad for him and/or his horse's health riding through there during deer season.

Back
Top Bottom