• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wood vs Vinyl Fencing

We have 400ft of fencing that needs to be replaced. Whoever installed our fence didn't even cement in the posts. You can literally push my fence over.

With he price of lumber, we're seriously considering going Vinyl. Thoughts and/or suggestions?
That's not good. The zombies will overrun you in no time. Might I suggest the left over scraps from DJT's border wall. concertina wire and some claymores. ;)

Modern pressure treated lumber is fantastic. As long as you don’t expose it to UV, or weather, or allow it to touch the ground. Other than that it’s great.

I replaced 5 of my treated wood posts already and the fence is less than 7yrs old (150ft of fence). They were completely rotten at the base. For the new posts, I coated the bottoms in roofing tar, maybe that will help. I don't know much about vinyl but I would consider it or some other kind of post for my next fence.

Side note, I highly recommend an easily removable panel or two. On my wood fence, I have a 9ft section hung on these brackets. You can't tell a difference from the front. I don't need to drive in the backyard often, but this has been very handy a few times.

upload_2021-4-20_10-17-41.png

I use landscape timbers for fence posts. Half the price of "real" wood fence posts, and last 12 to 15 years. If it is wood, it WILL rot at the bottom, it is what wood does.

A concrete post footer that holds water in the post will rot the post much quicker than a concrete footer that is open beneath the post, to let the water drain out the bottom

don’t breath that pressure treated sawdust

Back
Top Bottom