• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Worth it or not?

SOGASOGA

Default rank <1250 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
77   0
Reaction score
I don't have a 30-40 Krag but LGS has this on consignment. It looks great and I love the extras but seems a bit steep. I'm a modest collector and care more about getting one of each but this is really cool. Is it something I should just pull the trigger on and I won't care about the money 10 years down the road or wait for a more moderately priced example, even if it means the quality and extras won't be there?

https://www.gunsamerica.com/Classifieds/View/_953109549.aspx

Thanks for the advice

I see these move at auctions every once in a while. They are great shooters.

Unless you are a serious collector of militeria who needs all the accoutrements, IMO the price is way high.

The ones I've seen in the last couple of years, straight unaltered guns in average condition go for $350 to $600. I haven't seen one attributed to Teddy Roosevelt, which is what it would have to be for me to pay that kind of price.

You might have to pay that price for a mint carbine, but not a long rifle. Get into the auction circuit by joining Proxbid. There are a lot of Krags that are always coming up for sale. You just need to be knowledgeable on the rifle you want to buy. A lot are totally misrepresented, but knowing your subject matter can land you some deals. IMHO, I think prices are dropping slightly on Krags and Trapdoors.

Art

You might have to pay that price for a mint carbine, but not a long rifle. Get into the auction circuit by joining Proxbid. There are a lot of Krags that are always coming up for sale. You just need to be knowledgeable on the rifle you want to buy. A lot are totally misrepresented, but knowing your subject matter can land you some deals. IMHO, I think prices are dropping slightly on Krags and Trapdoors.

Art

I have definitely seen a softening of prices on Trapdoors.

Back
Top Bottom