Would you shoot a dog that was attacking you?

Would you shoot a dog that was attacking you?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

You are wise to be suspicious. In fact, however, this question was both.

I read an article this morning about a 16 year old boy, probably in England based on the terminology and phrasing of the incident, that was convicted of stabbing a police dog that was attacking him and also convicted of stabbing the PC(Constable) who was in control of the dog. Now... The dog was sent to chase him and he ran because he had the knife. NO other crime was associated with the story. So a 16 year old boy has a big hunting knife and when approached by the police, panics and runs. The PC send the dog after him and when the dog attacks him he defends himself from the dog with a knife. While trying to deflect the kid swinging the knife the cop gets a cut on his hand which is what the "stabbing a police officer" charge is from.

All that got me to thinking. I bet almost everyone would agree that if you are being attacked by an animal, you have every right to defend yourself and most would use lethal force if need be. Even if that animal is a dog. But if it's a police dog that's got teeth sunk into your flesh and is ripping meat from your body, suddenly self defense is a crime. In fact, shooting a police dog in some places IS shooting a cop.

Personally I think that's wrong. If the dog attacks me, it dies. Well, it gets shot at any rate. And that will not be changed whether it's a stray I run into on the trail or a police dog in my front yard. When animals attack, you have every right to defend.

i.imgur.com_YJjRYnj.gif

And only poodles...

Depending on how threatened I feel about it, I may shoot before it attacks.

I shot a wild dog in south Georgia about 20 years ago. Mean looking varmint. Big, yellow sucker that stepped out in the road while I was hunting and showed me his teeth. He wasn't backing down an inch, and I was all by myself 2 miles back in the woods. If you've never encountered a truly wild dog, they are much worse than a coyote, and can be very aggressive towards humans. They lack the fear of humans that coyotes have. Some of them, anyway. That's why I placed a .270 in his shoulder at 20 yards. Bye.

You are wise to be suspicious. In fact, however, this question was both.

I read an article this morning about a 16 year old boy, probably in England based on the terminology and phrasing of the incident, that was convicted of stabbing a police dog that was attacking him and also convicted of stabbing the PC(Constable) who was in control of the dog. Now... The dog was sent to chase him and he ran because he had the knife. NO other crime was associated with the story. So a 16 year old boy has a big hunting knife and when approached by the police, panics and runs. The PC send the dog after him and when the dog attacks him he defends himself from the dog with a knife. While trying to deflect the kid swinging the knife the cop gets a cut on his hand which is what the "stabbing a police officer" charge is from.

All that got me to thinking. I bet almost everyone would agree that if you are being attacked by an animal, you have every right to defend yourself and most would use lethal force if need be. Even if that animal is a dog. But if it's a police dog that's got teeth sunk into your flesh and is ripping meat from your body, suddenly self defense is a crime. In fact, shooting a police dog in some places IS shooting a cop.

Personally I think that's wrong. If the dog attacks me, it dies. Well, it gets shot at any rate. And that will not be changed whether it's a stray I run into on the trail or a police dog in my front yard. When animals attack, you have every right to defend.

So you are saying that you are mad because a 16 year old "boy" had a knife(which is illegal to my understanding) ran from the police(which is also illegal....to my understanding) stabbed a police dog(which again I would assume is illegal) and then proceeded to fight the police and in-turn stab/cut an officer(which I know to be illegal...from my understanding.)

Back
Top Bottom