• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Would you support a non-gun related business having a “no LONG GUNS allowed” sign/policy?

Would you support a non-gun related business having a “no LONG GUNS allowed” sign/policy?

• Total voters
What did I accuse you of in that quote?

Anyway, moving forward. Guns don't need to be a dirty little secret. Your concerns over other carriers are very generalized and are consistent with Ann anti 2a mentality. Think back to the founding fathers. Would they be ashamed to oc their weapons while going about daily activities?

First of all, you implied that I am complacent about 2A rights.

And once again I'll try to get across to you that this is all about the opinion of the 33% of Americans that are not gun owners, but support the 2A. Why is it so hard for you guys to get that. It has nothing to do with shame or a dirty little secret. It is about political power and the power that gun owners have on their own is not enough to protect our 2A rights. Try actually THNKING about that instead of repeatedly attributing motivations to my objection to OC that do not exist. The ONLY objection I have is the negative effect it has on our political power by eroding the base of people that support the 2A by needlessly offending them. In the vast majority of cases OC is a belligerent act and that DOES NOT bring people over to our way of thinking.

Knowingly doing something that damages the very rights you profess to cherish just because you want to is simply childish. Every time I see some douche walking around with a long gun strapped on I think of a little kid throwing a tantrum, but it's even worse. At least the kid is doing it because you're not letting him do something he wants. It's ALREADY LEGAL to OC, so what point are you trying to make by going to the trouble to lug around an AK? Seriously, exactly what is the point of protesting for something you already have? Don't give me any of this crap about "normalizing" or "exercising your right". It's clear that neither of those have the desired effect.

First of all, you implied that I am complacent about 2A rights.

And once again I'll try to get across to you that this is all about the opinion of the 33% of Americans that are not gun owners, but support the 2A. Why is it so hard for you guys to get that. It has nothing to do with shame or a dirty little secret. It is about political power and the power that gun owners have on their own is not enough to protect our 2A rights. Try actually THNKING about that instead of repeatedly attributing motivations to my objection to OC that do not exist. The ONLY objection I have is the negative effect it has on our political power by eroding the base of people that support the 2A by needlessly offending them. In the vast majority of cases OC is a belligerent act and that DOES NOT bring people over to our way of thinking.

Knowingly doing something that damages the very rights you profess to cherish just because you want to is simply childish. Every time I see some douche walking around with a long gun strapped on I think of a little kid throwing a tantrum, but it's even worse. At least the kid is doing it because you're not letting him do something he wants. It's ALREADY LEGAL to OC, so what point are you trying to make by going to the trouble to lug around an AK? Seriously, exactly what is the point of protesting for something you already have? Don't give me any of this crap about "normalizing" or "exercising your right". It's clear that neither of those have the desired effect.

Bear, I'm with you on this one brother!

Maybe because their opinion and votes influence my 2A rights.

Are you actually trying to make the argument that the reason people OC a long gun is because it's convenient? LMAO!!!!!!!!!!! But to answer your question directly, CC FTW.

You are against open carry and see virtually no reason for it. I don't have an issue with it and find it absurd that someone would call the police and lie to them because someone was simply walking thru a parking lot with a firearm visible on his side.

I find it absurd that some "security guard" would call to have a police officer come to the park to explain if it is legal to carry a firearm in a public park and to check to see if that person had a permit then lie to the officer to have that person arrested and you find fault with the guy just walking in the park instead of the officer who should have known the law and the "security guard" who lied.

I find it amusing that people who claim to support the second amendment only support the exercise of the right to keep and bear in a fashion that they agree with. Do you also only support the legality arms that you agree with? Where do you stand on a magazine limit law? Do you support the ability to own so called assault weapons or do you think they have no place in my gun safe?

As for the OP I support the ability of a store owner placing a no firearms allowed if he/she wishes to do so. It may not prevent me from having a firearm on my side when I walk in the door but I support his right to request such.

Last edited:
It's the business owners decision one way or the other, just like it is their decision in their home. It's also your decision whether or not you patronize them. I think the "I won't go there crowd" is probably a lot smaller than the honor, or ignore crowd, and the primary purpose is to minimize lawsuits against the business.

As for security guards, I did it in college for awhile. While there are a good number of good guys doing security, there are a bunch of dirtbags as well. A private citizen has more power to act than the typical security guard.

You are against open carry and see virtually no reason for it. I don't have an issue with it and find it absurd that someone would call the police and lie to them because someone was simply walking thru a parking lot with a firearm visible on his side.

I find it absurd that some "security guard" would call to have a police officer come to the park to explain if it is legal to carry a firearm in a public park and to check to see if that person had a permit then lie to the officer to have that person arrested and you find fault with the guy just walking in the park instead of the officer who should have known the law and the "security guard" who lied.

I find it amusing that people who claim to support the second amendment only support the exercise of the right to keep and bear in a fashion that they agree with. Do you also only support the legality arms that you agree with? Where do you stand on a magazine limit law? Do you support the ability to own so called assault weapons or do you think they have no place in my gun safe?

As for the OP I support the ability of a store owner placing a no firearms allowed if he/she wishes to do so. It may not prevent me from having a firearm on my side when I walk in the door but I support his right to request such.

Another one that misses the point completely. You obviously have not read my posts concerning this (or you are just ignoring them) or you would not have asked the idiotic questions you did, so I'm not going to repeat my self other than to say that I feel there should be no legal limits on what firearms a law abiding citizen should be able to own or carry. That includes ones that are currently illegal. And that it doesn't matter weather you think the reaction of the people in the park was reasonable or not. What matters is that they did react that way, so it is obvious that the person OCing did damage gun owners and the 2A due to that negative reaction.

No one that supports OC has been able to explain how it helps protect our 2A rights. The answer to that is very simple, it doesn't.

Last edited:
Another one that misses the point completely. You obviously have not read my posts concerning this (or you are just ignoring them) or you would not have asked the idiotic questions you did, so I'm not going to repeat my self other than to say that I feel there should be no legal limits on what firearms a law abiding citizen should be able to own or carry. That includes ones that are currently illegal. And that it doesn't matter weather you think the reaction of the people in the park was reasonable or not. What matters is that they did react that way, so it is obvious that the person OCing did damage gun owners and the 2A due to that negative reaction.

No one that supports OC has been able to explain how it helps protect our 2A rights. The answer to that is very simple, it doesn't.

Open carry is a right in and of itself that you lose when you choose not to exercize that right for fear of the reaction of others.

Open carry does nothing to protect your rights. It never was intended to do so. But funny thing you currently have the right to open carry but willingly give that right up. In my opinion you infringe on your own right to keep and bear in the hopes that others wont.

Again you fault the guy going about his normal everyday business who just happens to choose to openly carry a firearm and say nothing about the people who wish to infringe on your right to keep and bear.

I understand. You go on about your life not doing something because you are afraid how someone else might react to your going about your way legally. Perhaps you conceal well enough that no one can tell you have a firearm on your side, perhaps not.

No I do not get it at all. I do not get how voluntarily not exercising a right I wish to exercise will preserve that right which I will not exercise. Care to explain what exactly is the value in having the right to openly carry a firearm on my side is of any value to me if I wont openly carry that firearm?

This wasn't meant to be an OC vs CC handguns thread. It was meant to be, very specifically, about whether or not you would continue to patronize a business that prohibits the open carry of LONG GUNS (i.e. they are cool with OC and CC handguns).

I never said a word about making the OC of long guns illegal.

Open carry is a right in and of itself that you lose when you choose not to exercize that right for fear of the reaction of others.
If this is true, you better get busy exercising all those other rights we have that almost no one uses on a regular basis. This argument is hogwash. Your right are not a muscle.

Open carry does nothing to protect your rights. It never was intended to do so. But funny thing you currently have the right to open carry but willingly give that right up. In my opinion you infringe on your own right to keep and bear in the hopes that others wont.
I give absolutely nothing up by choosing not to do it and advising others that it's a bad idea. Are you saying that anyone that does not drive a sports car is giving up the right and freedom to do so? Again hogwash. You also contradict yourself in this statement. First you say OC does not protect a right, but then say if you don't do it you are giving up that right. Which is it?

Again you fault the guy going about his normal everyday business who just happens to choose to openly carry a firearm and say nothing about the people who wish to infringe on your right to keep and bear.
Are you not paying attention at all? EVERYTHING I have said is about the people that wish to infringe on my 2A rights and how NOT to damage the power base we have that prevents them from doing it.

I understand. You go on about your life not doing something because you are afraid how someone else might react to your going about your way legally. Perhaps you conceal well enough that no one can tell you have a firearm on your side, perhaps not.
Again with the accusation of fear. Ridiculous! I am a proponent and defender of the 2A, thus I do not approve of actions that create a public reaction that puts everyone's 2A in danger. You, on the other hand, obviously don't give a rat's ass about the 2A or you would not be doing that damage to it or supporting those that do.

No I do not get it at all. I do not get how voluntarily not exercising a right I wish to exercise will preserve that right which I will not exercise. Care to explain what exactly is the value in having the right to openly carry a firearm on my side is of any value to me if I wont openly carry that firearm?

OC doesn't just effect the right to OC. It negatively impacts ALL gun rights. I know and agree with the idea that in a perfect Constitutional world public opinion should have absolutely no impact on any of my rights. I have often said that the Constitution is not just there to protect us from the government, but that it is also there to protect us from the opinion of our neighbors. Unfortunately, that is NOT how America works right now. Maybe, just maybe, someday we will get back to that notion as a nation, but it's not going to happen anytime soon and I certainly do not want the 2A to be the test case. Test cases are often lost and if we lose the 2A, we lose ALL of them. So yes, the opinion of the 33% of 2A supporters that do not own a gun are critical to maintaining the rights that the 2A clarifies. Every single time one of those people changes their opinion because they are offended by the belligerence of a person that OCs or, worse yet, frightened by them it is damaging to every gun owners rights. Why do that?

This wasn't meant to be an OC vs CC handguns thread. It was meant to be, very specifically, about whether or not you would continue to patronize a business that prohibits the open carry of LONG GUNS (i.e. they are cool with OC and CC handguns).

I never said a word about making the OC of long guns illegal.

But don't you realize that supporters of OC almost always confuse the thought that OC may be a bad idea with wanting it to be made illegal? It's their strongest defense. Hell, it's their ONLY defense. Sadly, it's one that doesn't even exist, they have to make it up.

Back
Top Bottom