• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wtb wtt: Fly rod, reel

flyrods are like guns.....there isn't a universal platform.

the beartooth mnts (if I remember correctly) are mostly wooded so the wind won't be a major concern (versus the little blackfoot....wind knots out the ying yang). with that said you will be fine there with a 4 pc 9' 5wt. the weights only determine the line weight (higher line weight = heavier rod = heavier conditions).

Speaking from personal experience buy the best that you can afford because it will always be cheaper in the long run than to keep buying over and over and end up with a closet full of gear.

My personal favorite is a winston rod and a ross reel. these are tough and sport a lifetime warranty (trust me don't get one without a lifetime warranty....they break faster than you think). you can find good deals on gear via craigslist or ebay and since you are just getting started why does it matter if you have used gear?

do you have breathable waders? even in august that water is not going to be "warm" how about boots? a vest? etc

Once you get your gear I can take you out on the water and let you fish with us sometime to get a feel for things if you like.

I agree on getting the best I can afford, hence me trying to trade my stash to cut some of the potential wife giving me the evil eye. I've never been up there, but looking at youtube vids and from what I've been told, we'll be going from lake to lake during the hike. I used to have a fly rig about 15 years ago, and never actually fished with it, but I did practice casting. I will most certainly take you up on the offer. Trout Slayer made the same offer.

it's also a foot movement / camping for a week. ..so extra gear most likely won't be coming unless I have extra room after the tent, bag, food and snivel gear.

I agree on getting the best I can afford, hence me trying to trade my stash to cut some of the potential wife giving me the evil eye. I've never been up there, but looking at youtube vids and from what I've been told, we'll be going from lake to lake during the hike. I used to have a fly rig about 15 years ago, and never actually fished with it, but I did practice casting. I will most certainly take you up on the offer. Trout Slayer made the same offer.

I like to keep two rigs my light and short rig (orvis far and fine rod with a ross reel 5wt) and my long bug thrower my winston with a klaus reel or orvis whichever gets dug out of the bag lol.

yeah man just let me know we are usually fishing/shootin/camping almost every weekend. (joys of being not married lol).

I'm kinda hoping i don't have to give up all my 308 as I'm taking my Savage long range hunter out to Wyoming enroute to Montana to see just how far that sucker can shoot.

it's also a foot movement / camping for a week. ..so extra gear most likely won't be coming unless I have extra room after the tent, bag, food and snivel gear.

rod, reel, line, tippet (5x and 6x florocarbon), box of dry flies/nymphs/emergers, and a small box of terrestrials is all you will probably need. The fishing gear all depends on what type of fishing you plan to do IE dry fly fishing requires less gear but also only accounts for a small percentage of their feeding nymph and streamer fishing on the other hand requires more gear but dominates the feeding levels.

if I am going to fish a new stream I almost always start with the same rig....a small to midge sized nymph with a dropper midge tied off the hook bend approx 16" away. I dredge the feeding levels until I find where the fish are feeding based on the temp of the water/area/etc.

If you ever come down towards glock one weekend let me know and i can meet you to go over some casting methods and tips for the river.

rod, reel, line, tippet (5x and 6x florocarbon), box of dry flies/nymphs/emergers, and a small box of terrestrials is all you will probably need. The fishing gear all depends on what type of fishing you plan to do IE dry fly fishing requires less gear but also only accounts for a small percentage of their feeding nymph and streamer fishing on the other hand requires more gear but dominates the feeding levels.

if I am going to fish a new stream I almost always start with the same rig....a small to midge sized nymph with a dropper midge tied off the hook bend approx 16" away. I dredge the feeding levels until I find where the fish are feeding based on the temp of the water/area/etc.

If you ever come down towards glock one weekend let me know and i can meet you to go over some casting methods and tips for the river.
I will definitely do that. Thank you! I'm also keeping notes on advice I'm getting. Goal is to not be completely noobed on the mountain. Too many A-type personalities.. bunch of former Army Rangers

I will definitely do that. Thank you! I'm also keeping notes on advice I'm getting. Goal is to not be completely noobed on the mountain. Too many A-type personalities.. bunch of former Army Rangers

yeah they sound like my buddies (some fall into that category as well).

let me know man, and I put the shorter rig up for trade in the classifieds today if you are interested. I can post pics later tonight.

Back
Top Bottom