• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

WW2 History in Chattanooga

shootin4fun

Default rank 5000+ posts
Veritas Aequitas
187   0
Reaction score
Not many photos can be acquired, however, information is available about this location.

Abandoned Military Base, Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Located on 7,353 acres in the northeast part of Chattanooga, TN is a WW2 era military base. Originally constructed to produce TNT, this facility remained in operation between July 1942 to August 1945.

The base was reused again for the Korean War, and remained in operation until sometime in 1957. The base was then put on standby until the Vietnam War, and was used again between 1966, until the total operation was retired fully in 1977.

The military base consisted of 422 buildings, most of which today no longer stand. The land has been mostly sold off at this point, and the majority of it is now owned by Volkswagen. The Volkswagen factory in Chattanooga now sits on land that was once used as the military base. However, parts of the property are unused, and gated off. Public entry is not allowed unless by the permission of the property owners. However, some of the testing sites are still standing, and are open to public access via the Enterprise Nature Park, owned by Volkswagen and sits to the east of the Volkswagen Factory.

IMG_7720.jpeg

Not many photos can be acquired, however, information is available about this location.

Located on 7,353 acres in the northeast part of Chattanooga, TN is a WW2 era military base. Originally constructed to produce TNT, this facility remained in operation between July 1942 to August 1945.

The base was reused again for the Korean War, and remained in operation until sometime in 1957. The base was then put on standby until the Vietnam War, and was used again between 1966, until the total operation was retired fully in 1977.

The military base consisted of 422 buildings, most of which today no longer stand. The land has been mostly sold off at this point, and the majority of it is now owned by Volkswagen. The Volkswagen factory in Chattanooga now sits on land that was once used as the military base. However, parts of the property are unused, and gated off. Public entry is not allowed unless by the permission of the property owners. However, some of the testing sites are still standing, and are open to public access via the Enterprise Nature Park, owned by Volkswagen and sits to the east of the Volkswagen Factory.

View attachment 6075428
They had blacktail deer on there at one time. they used to have drawn archery hunts. was interesting walking around the old bunkers. (Around, not in). My dad shot a whitetail doe there, I believe it was the only deer he ever killed.

Imagine if you could go back in time and tell the workers there that the country you are fighting against that a German company would one day own this property.

That's a great point!

But if I could go back to that same time, I'd also tell those workers "don't worry, our new P51 Mustangs are going to bring down everything the Germans and Japanese could throw at us.".

By the time their jets came out, it was pretty much a done deal. We were destroying their manufacturing capability and killing the hell out of their fighting force.

I know they were working on their own atom bomb, but we beat them to it.

Murica!

BTW, the Mustang was a great plane, but I have to give the Brits credit. Putting the Merlin engine used in the later Spitfires pushed the Mustang over the top.

After Israel was trying to establish itself as a nation in 1947, their small air force was flying left over ME 109’s and the army had a lot of Mauser 98’s.

View attachment 6075428
Was known as the Volunteer Army Ammunition Plant

This ia AWESOME!!!
Thanks for sharing.

Do you know about the former Nike missile bases that were in Georgia?

Or what about the WW2 mothball fleet in Green Cove Springs FL on the St. Johns River in Florida?

There's even a former Navy ammo plant that's in Macon.
I'll bet palmettomoon palmettomoon can tour guide us at that one!!!

Back
Top Bottom