• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

XDs 9mm ftw

TheJ

Default rank <1000 posts Lifetime Supporter
NRA Life Member
13   0
Reaction score
I recently picked up a brand new Springfield XDs 9mm and I was excited to go shoot.

Here's a pick:
i133.photobucket.com_albums_q49_thej_photos_xxxxxxxx_DSC_0005_zps40c27031.jpg

It's in the same size category as my S&W M&P Shield and my Kahr P9. The Xds is heavier (4oz) than the Shield and the Kahr (6oz) though. The dimensions other wise are very very close. The trigger on my XDs is much closer to the Shield than a Kahr. It is slightly heavier than my Shield but more crisp. It is VERY easy for y to keep a good sight picture through the every trigger pull. I also like the factory fiber sights on the XDs a little more than the quite nice steel sights on my Shield. The Shield sights are pretty good but have a smaller front post, so I find it easier for me to quickly find a sight picture with the fiber optic front post XDs. One other thing I noticed is (much like the full size XDms) even with my stubby hands, I find it very easy to operate/manipulate the slide lock without having to adjust my shooting hand. That makes for faster/smoother reloads.

The XDs is priced higher than the Shield. So some may not consider it worth the extra but I really don't think consider the extra cost is prohibitive. While I really like the Shield and thinks its a great firearm I think the sights, feel, fit and finish and shoot-ability of the XDs is a little better.
I am really happy with my purchase.

Nice! I nearly bought one a few weeks ago. Does it come with an extended mag also?
Thanks J
It does not come with the extended mag. And truthfully they are not cheap to order from Springfield either. It came with two flush mags.
How did it shoot, accuracy, felt/precieved recoil, feed, 7, 10, 15 yard distances?
It shoots incredibly well actually. Recoil is really soft becasue IMHO its big enough to get a solid grip on and has enough weight to not make you feel like you're shooting a tiny gun. Some might even consider the hefty weight a liability because of it small size but I think it helps make for a very shootable gun. It is practically as easy to shoot accurately as any fully size pistol even at distance. I had no problems maintaining acceptable accuracy. I had zero feeding problems. In fact zero problems at all. I only put two hundred rounds through it but it feels very solid. The trigger is great for a stock striker fired pistol. If anyone is looking for a gun in this size range I would definitely reccomend they check it out.

It does not come with the extended mag. And truthfully they are not cheap to order from Springfield either. It came with two flush mags.

It shoots incredibly well actually. Recoil is really soft becasue IMHO its big enough to get a solid grip on and has enough weight to not make you feel like you're shooting a tiny gun. Some might even consider the hefty weight a liability because of it small size but I think it helps make for a very shootable gun. It is practically as easy to shoot accurately as any fully size pistol even at distance. I had no problems maintaining acceptable accuracy. I had zero feeding problems. In fact zero problems at all. I only put two hundred rounds through it but it feels very solid. The trigger is great for a stock striker fired pistol. If anyone is looking for a gun in this size range I would definitely reccomend they check it out.

I feel the same about my . 45 xds.

I bet the 9mm shoots nice.

I feel the same about my . 45 xds.

I bet the 9mm shoots nice.

I'm very happy with it. I'm sure it's not perfect for everyone but it is a nice firearm worth checking out for those interested in a compact slim comfortable for IWB carry firearm that is very shoot-able.
:)

Picked up a bi-tone last night and the wife and I put over 200 rounds through it. IMHO a much better gun than the Shield, but it should be for the price. The trigger is as good, if not better, than my Gen 4 G26. Only problem I had was the slide would not lock back on an empty mag - but only when I shot it - not my buddy or my wife. Found out I was "riding" the slide stop. Once I adjusted my grip it ran like a champ. Need to run some HD ammo through it, but it will become my EDC - carries much nicer than a G26 and the controls are better than the Shield or the Nano that I owned.

My wife wants me to sell her M&P 9C to get her one!

I recently went from the XDS .45 to the 9mm. Just prefer to have an extra couple of rounds, especially since I have full faith in modern 9mm ammo to be as effective as .45.

Back
Top Bottom