• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

You can only take 5 items for a 7 day

SJ, I'm not picking on you, not being a grammar nazi because lord knows I make errors and/or have many autocorrect issue...but I've seen this typed this way a few times, so I wanted to get clarification. Is it Dobbs Defense or Defence? If it is the latter Dobbs, why the play on words? Just curious.

Brother I am a shaved ape that just grunts and bangs on the keyboard. If I could read I would maybe catch some of my many typos before they get quoted and its too late to edit my post. But he spells it with a C and so...

hey Johnny, where in the world can you get those Stanley Adventure Multi Use Bottle ? Are they discontinued? cant find them anywhere!
sorry for hijacking the thread...

Defence vs. defense
Defence and defense are different spellings of the same word. Defense is preferred in American English, and defence is preferred in all other main varieties of English, including Australian, British, and Canadian English. The spelling distinction extends to most derivatives of defence/defense, including defences/defenses and defenceless/defenseless. But the words defensive, defensiveness, and defensively have an s everywhere.

Though defense is now the American spelling, it is not American in origin. The OED and Google Books reveal examples of the spelling from as long ago as the 1300s, many centuries before the United States existed. That spelling continued to appear a fraction of the time through the 19th century, when it was taken up by American writers. Today, to the chagrin of those who dislike American English, the spelling is gaining ground throughout the English-speaking world.

source citation:

http://grammarist.com/spelling/defence-defense/

Defence vs. defense
Defence and defense are different spellings of the same word. Defense is preferred in American English, and defence is preferred in all other main varieties of English, including Australian, British, and Canadian English. The spelling distinction extends to most derivatives of defence/defense, including defences/defenses and defenceless/defenseless. But the words defensive, defensiveness, and defensively have an s everywhere.

Though defense is now the American spelling, it is not American in origin. The OED and Google Books reveal examples of the spelling from as long ago as the 1300s, many centuries before the United States existed. That spelling continued to appear a fraction of the time through the 19th century, when it was taken up by American writers. Today, to the chagrin of those who dislike American English, the spelling is gaining ground throughout the English-speaking world.

source citation:

Johnny learned to google, now we have two Laxguys

Defence vs. defense

source citation:

So....you're not American?

Back
Top Bottom