Your experience with the Rossi 92 lever action rifle.

Ive read a good many responses in reviews and on blogs and forums about the 38 feeding issues. Some say the 357 is a problem in theirs.
Im using a 167gr powdercoated lead. I aquired/ traded for a thousand from a forum member here on Odt. Kind of a keith type bullet with a shallow hollowpoint. They load and feed gr8 in this lil 38/357. They have enough power to dispatch any varmint ,yet quiet enough you can shoot a few without earplugs. Quieter than a 22lr.

16" in .357. Same experience with loading gate but didn't do anything about it.

You can watch vids on YT on how to slick up the action with some light polishing and replacing a few springs.

I've had my Rossi/Puma for about 10 years, I slicked it up and drilled/tapped it for a Marble tang sight. It's in 44mag and is not pleasant on the shoulder with the magnums. Cowboy loads are great and accuracy is fantastic for a gun this size shooting revolver cartridges, However it doesnt satisfy my Cowboy itch like the 44-40 with Black Powder loads.

20220401_125118.jpg

Newer 16" 44 Magnum. It's fun and accurate but it has a bit more punch than I was expecting. Haven't had it long and only shot Hornady 245gr and PPU 300gr out of it. It's a little gritty but looking forward to breaking it in. Only have about 40 rounds through it. So far 100% reliable

16" in .357. Same experience with loading gate but didn't do anything about it.

You can watch vids on YT on how to slick up the action with some light polishing and replacing a few springs.
Ive watched a few of them. Trimming the mag spring was a gr8 success
The loading gate surfaces were sharp as hail on mine ,so I just eased that edge off a tad. Success there as well.
The shells go sky high upon ejection and a spring change will tame that, but I can wait on that for now.
I also want to replace the magazine follower one of these days.

I've owned several from the 1980's through today's production. Quality and function has been hit or miss, sometimes they're great right out of the box and sometimes they need work. They were once very popular for cowboy action shooting and that requires 100% reliability.
The .357 that I have now works fine with .38's or .357's.
The Bainbridge marked guns seem to be smooth right out of the box.

I dont want opinions.

I want experiences ,good or bad.

Ive got a newer Bainbridge ,Ga marked one thats been a pleasure ;)
Ive put just under 3 boxes of ammo through it and it has been gr8.
Im shooting mostly my own 38+p reloads.

It was tough to load at first, but shortening the magazine spring and taking the sharp edges off the loading gate surfaces have solved that issue.
I have a Rossi 92 stainless 16 inch barrel in 454 casull it would not feed 45 colt so I did some work on the guides on each side of the feed ramp and now it feeds fairly good if you work the action fast. It kicks like a small mule with the 454 cartridge. I like it!

Back
Top Bottom