• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Your first deer.

I think maybe 4 years ago. Sitting on what we now call "Birthday Stand", reading a text message, and I hear a noise. Look down and there is a buck standing almost directly under my stand to my right. I had no idea he was there at all until a hear a stick break. All the usual things happen, adrenalin dump, heavy breathing, ect... and he starts walking away from me so I decide this is my best time to get my gun up and he turns left and I have a tree between me and him. I aim to the left of the tree waiting for him to step out, he does and BANG! Dropped him at 20 yards.

From the stand with my old HTC Thunderbolt cellphone camera zoomed in:

The Remington 700 VTR .308 I killed him with. I believe I took him with a Hornady SST 168gr.

Close up:

Killed him a day after my birthday. One of the best birthdays I've ever had.

I was 16 years old, I started hunting with my older brother ( true deerslayer in the day) when I was 13. Hunted my tail off for the first 3 seasons. Went to Chesattee for a 3 day manage hunt and froze to death (10 degrees) so I left a day early and went to a private farm that we hunted on Horn Mountain in Floyd county, climbed a tree with a natural saddle over a hardwood ridge, fell asleep because of no sleep the previous 2 cold nights, woke up to a snap about 80 yards away in the bottom and saw a nice little 8 eating leaves out of a tree and made a good shot with my opened sighted 742 Remington 30.06. Hooked

I think maybe 4 years ago. Sitting on what we now call "Birthday Stand", reading a text message, and I hear a noise. Look down and there is a buck standing almost directly under my stand to my right. I had no idea he was there at all until a hear a stick break. All the usual things happen, adrenalin dump, heavy breathing, ect... and he starts walking away from me so I decide this is my best time to get my gun up and he turns left and I have a tree between me and him. I aim to the left of the tree waiting for him to step out, he does and BANG! Dropped him at 20 yards.

From the stand with my old HTC Thunderbolt cellphone camera zoomed in:

The Remington 700 VTR .308 I killed him with. I believe I took him with a Hornady SST 168gr.

Close up:

Killed him a day after my birthday. One of the best birthdays I've ever had.

That particular Remington 700 has taken quite a few deer since then.

First evening of gun season in 1995, I was 13 and it was my very first time deer hunting. I sat in a ladder stand my older cousin set up for me. Small doe came walking through the woods and walked about 30 yards behind me. I was using my granddad's old Sear's 12 gauge semi auto with buckshot and thought it was a good idea to stand up on the ladder to shoot the doe behind my stand. I pulled the trigger and wound up flat on the ground on my back. Fortunately, I killed the deer, which only ended up weighing about 90 lbs. I was so excited I ran all the way back to the house, almost a mile, then waited outside til I caught my breath before going in to tell my granddad.

2011 - my first deer season since moving to the US. Bought a rifle & a climber and went to my friends farm. I remember turning around and a doe was about 80 yards to my 8 o'clock. Heart almost beat out of my throat. Spent 30 seconds trying to hold the rifle steady and fired the 7mm mag at her. She flipped over and died instantly. I hit her in the neck, blew a fist sized hole through her, it was the most gratifying thing I'd ever done. Trailed her about 1/4 mile, through a creek and I threw the bleeding mess into the trunk of my wifes Honda, never forget seeing a shooting star as I closed the trunk. Brought it home and strung it up in the front yard, floodlights on & working into the night trying to figure out how to get the meat off it. 4 hours later it was in my cooler, my wife fell asleep on the hood of her car watching me. What a great night.

Back
Top Bottom