Your night stand gun....

Do you have a laser sight on your nightstand gun(s)?

• Yes

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • No

Votes: 73 82.0%

• Total voters
Inforce APL light on my PPQ, yes. Laser, no.

In my experience, most people who want a laser on a handgun are inexperienced shooters who believe a laser is a shortcut to marksmanship. While I grasp the potential usefulness of a pistol laser in certain limited applications, the VAST majority of people would be better off spending that "laser money" on practice ammo and shooting lessons. If you are fully proficient with a handgun using conventional sights and choose to add a laser, more power to you. If you think that adding a laser will make it easier to hit your target because the "bullet goes wherever the laser is pointing" then you are delusional.
Laser was on LC9 when I bought it. I find it very useful for dry-firing. I point the dot at the stationary object and pull the trigger, making sure that dot does not move. It made explaining proper trigger pull much easier when I worked on it with my wife. She could immediately see what she was doing wrong.

Last edited:
Laser was on LC9 when I bought it. I find it very useful for dry-firing. I point the dot on the stationary object and pull the trigger, making sure that dot does not move. It made explaining proper trigger pull much easier when I worked on it with my wife. She could immediately see what she was doing wrong.

And using a laser in that context, as a training aid, makes perfect sense. :thumb:

I keep a shotgun by the bed . I aint a very good pistol shot in good conditions .......

I have heard many people say and I have read many articles that a shotgun is the best home defense weapon to have. You wake up startled by a noise or whatever, you see someone in your home who ain't supposed to be there, you find yourself in a shooting situation, you don't have to aim the shotgun dead on target. You point and shoot. You may destroy some Sheetrock and maybe some furniture here and there but all that can be repaired and replaced. The bad guy is taken out. Don't be ashamed of keeping a shotgun for home defense.

I have heard many people say and I have read many articles that a shotgun is the best home defense weapon to have. You wake up startled by a noise or whatever, you see someone in your home who ain't supposed to be there, you find yourself in a shooting situation, you don't have to aim the shotgun dead on target. You point and shoot. You may destroy some Sheetrock and maybe some furniture here and there but all that can be repaired and replaced. The bad guy is taken out. Don't be ashamed of keeping a shotgun for home defense.

Well, yes, and no. The shorter the barrel, the better it will spread, but the truth is in most homes, an 18" shotgun barrel shooting 00 Buck or even bird shot down the hallway of an average home is only going to spread a few inches. You still have to be as precise with a shotgun as you would a rifle. I think most people have a better "point and shoot" ability with a long gun than a handgun, however, but then again there's always the argument as to which one you're going to be able to pull and shoot the fastest. I could see a debate going back and forth forever on this topic.

I chose the best of both worlds (in my own opinion, of course): Taurus Judge .410/45 revolver w/ a 2.5" rifled barrel. It's about as close to a point-n-shoot shotgun that I could find. The rifling on the barrel helps to spread the shot (about a 5' pattern from my bedroom to the end of the hallway where the only entry to my house would be) and I have it loaded with defensive .410 ammo in the first 2 chambers for quick shots followed by hollow point 45 Long Colt rounds just in case more rounds are needed. I do have a semi-auto 9mm handgun and a traditional HD shotgun w/ an extended tube for more capacity within a few feet as well, but the Judge would be the first one that I grab.

As for as lights and lasers, don't need them. My security system will turn on every light in my house if tripped, and I have a battery backup in case of power loss, and I still have a tactical flashlight close to my bed just in case. I wouldn't have any problems seeing what I'm shooting.

Total bs. You do need to aim.
At best, you might be 20 feet away, unless you have a mansion.
The spread will probably be in the neighborhood of 3- 4 inches when it hits the target.
The advantage of a shotgun is multiple trauma points that will usually severely slow down an intruder even if you don't hit a vital organ.

Back
Top Bottom