Your opinion of the Military exemption for GFL

jsquared

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
43   0
Reaction score
This is something I have always been on the fence about with regard to GA gun laws.

On one hand, sure it makes sense that a person in the military would have at least some exposure to firearms, and also have a somewhat higher level of discipline than a comparable civilian counterpart.

On the other hand, I was in the Army for 6 years (the majority of it in GA) and knew quite a few people from all different services that I wouldn't trust to carry a firearm. I also think having a blanket exemption like this allows for too many people that want to carry a pistol because they think it is "cool" or "badass." COD syndrome.

My opinion is that we should allow for the exemption of having to apply for the GFL, but require that the person get authorization from their commanding officer (in writing) and carry that on their person in lieu of a GFL. This would give at least one additional level of oversight, where the unit commander could make a judgment call as to whether or not that soldier/sailor/marine/airman is capable and qualified to handle and carry a firearm.

Here is the law in its current form:

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-130
Exemptions from Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2

(a) Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2 shall not apply to or affect any of the following persons if such persons are employed in the offices listed below or when authorized by federal or state law, regulations, or order:

(3) Persons in the military service of the state or of the United States;

Now, keep in mind that the law exempts ALL military personnel, from any branch, whether they are active duty, reserve, or national guard. It offers them exemptions from section 126-127.2, which control where and when you can carry. So, a military person could be allowed to carry at church, in the courthouse, etc.

It does NOT exempt them from the requirements of obtaining a GFL (sane, rational, no controlled substances, no felonies, etc), they just get a waiver for having to actually obtain the license.

I don't believe anyone should have to get a GFL or any other type of license for firearms or anything else guaranteed to us by the Constitution. That in itself is unconstitutional.

That being said. If some people have to get it, everyone should have to. Rights should not vary based on career choice, especially when it comes to personal defense.

Yeah that pretty much sums up my feelings too. I could see an exemption for police officers, that just makes sense, but not for all military personnel.

I'm in the Army and have been for 8 years. I'm an Infantryman assigned to Fort McPherson. I kind of understand your argument but there are some things with your point. First, the average soldier who lives on base can't have a firearm, if he does it has to be unit commander approved and it is stored in the units arms room and when the soldier wants to take it out he/she has to get written permission from the commander to remove the firearm. This is in case they get pulled over on an installation. This is not just here but at Fort Drum NY and Fort Bragg as I have been stationed there as well. Also they can not maintain ammo with the weapon in the arms room, so the soldier must get ammo off of base and use it before returning. Most soldiers I know who do have a gun in the arms room just keep it there because it is simply too much of a hassle to get it out. Second, I have a TN concealed carry permit anyways and most SM's I know have a permit in their respective home state of record. I do think it is fair, that we are exempt because there is no guarantee how long we can be stationed somewhere before a PCS. So should we have to pay each time we PCS to another state? When I was at Fort Drum I had to pay for a hand gun license and was turned down because I had just redeployed and was considered a liability to the State of New York. So I didn't pass go and NY took my $200. Next thing you know everyone will want to come on post and get everything with no tax just like a SM.

i don't believe anyone should have to get a gfl or any other type of license for firearms or anything else guaranteed to us by the constitution. That in itself is unconstitutional.

That being said. If some people have to get it, everyone should have to. Rights should not vary based on career choice, especially when it comes to personal defense.

this!

No one should need a GWL. Why would you want anyone to be required to get it? BEcause you have to? So because you have to get one means everyone needs to?

My opinion is that we should allow military to have these exemption. No because they deserve it more than us Civs but because that is one step closer for everyone to be exempt. By making it "fair" and not allowing them to be exempt means we are taking a step backwards.

No one should need a GWL. Why would you want anyone to be required to get it? BEcause you have to? So because you have to get one means everyone needs to?

My opinion is that we should allow military to have these exemption. No because they deserve it more than us Civs but because that is one step closer for everyone to be exempt. By making it "fair" and not allowing them to be exempt means we are taking a step backwards.

The scenario you have just described is civil rights segregation...:tsk:

Back
Top Bottom