Your opinion Ranking AK-47(Semiauto version)

I agree that there is no correct answer. I have a WASR and love it, never had an issue however some here will say its the worst AK. I understand its bottom of the line but its an AK!

I agree.

My WASR is like my 870.....thing is built like a tank and can withstand almost any punishment you throw at it.

My other Nice stuff gets babied a lot to be an AK....especially considering you can clean the bad girls with a shoe string and motor oil.

Not looking for anyone to testify before Congress, just looking for a few opinions. I realize these are opinions so I will use the full B.S. filter.

AK's are all across the board. I do know Arsenal makes a nice one, and a good Mak 90 can be a real find. A quality AK will cost you between $800 and $1000 usually with some Arsenal's going over $1000. You can step up to Milled receivers, but my "opinion" is that a milled receiver is silly on an AK as the platform wasn't even originally designed for it and it is not necessary. CCW is right, getting an honest value opinion right now is going to be impossible. Also, the Saiga imports are very good, and if the converstion is done correctly you have a nice AK. Some Saiga's are imported and converted before they are sold and depending on who did it, they can be very nice AK's. My suggestion, when buying an AK, inspect the rifle thoroughly before you buy it. Unless you are buying a known quantity higher end rifle, that is about the best you can do.

How is the quality of the Saiga AK import rifles?

<edit>

I mean the non-converted ones in the stock "sporterized" configuration.

The build quality and materials are good. They are built on Russian equipment in the Izhmash facility. The finish blows ass though.

You can step up to Milled receivers, but my "opinion" is that a milled receiver is silly on an AK as the platform wasn't even originally designed for it and it is not necessary.
AK-47 WAS designed for a milled receiver. What we call AK-47 in the US is actually AKM, AK Modernized. Soviets switched to stamped AKMs in 1959. AK-74 and AK-100 series are stamped. Stamped receivers handle stress from repeated auto fire better than milled. Army-issue AK-74s I've handled had no recoil buffers that we like to put in US.
With that said, the original Krasnuye Polyanyu-made Vepr is most accurate AKM-based (7.62x39) rifle I have fired. It uses a thicker stamped RPK-style receiver.
As far as milled vs stamped... Full Auto PK-47 (7.62x54R), PKT (7.62x54R), RPK (7.62x39) and RPK-74 (5.45x39) all use thicker stamped receivers.

Last edited:
No more than $700 in my opinion. ODT pricing, maybe $2500 or so.
Cool, since I plan on converting one, I don't want a mint condition still in grease AK. I'm gonna throw some fit dye Russian red timber Smith on it and thread it, and do what I must to be legal. Or should I go Chinese blonde?

As classic city said, if you want am AK you can beat to ****, get a wasr and check it for wobbly mags or canted sights. If you want an AK that's valuable, then you start looking into the big names.

Back
Top Bottom