• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Your Thoughts on Primer Brands

Thanks y'all I appreciate the comments.

I noticed on the box of Winchester large pistol primers that I have that it says "Use For Standard or Magnum Pistol Loads" while Federal and CCI market different primers for standard or magnum applications. It seems to me that I might as well just buy the Winchester primers to cover both. Is there any advantage to buying the Federal or CCI large pistol primers or magnum pistol primers for separate applications? You guys have mentioned that the Federal primers are a little softer so I can see why I might need to choose the Federals but are there any other reasons?

I use Winchester and wolf, never had a failure or light strike, this is in handgun loading
I would not use magnum Primers unless the particular load called for them, I'm sure you can use them if it's all you have but I would adjust the powder amount to compensate for the magnum primer, otherwise pressure would be higher, maybe way too high
I have heard folks talk about brands, light strikes, other failures, it's whatever weapon you use and what it likes
My 2 cents and experience with what I use

So are the Federal primers a little more sensitive?

Generally speaking a good way to determine primer sensitivity is to look at the box they are packaged in.
the more (larger) the package the more sensitive the primer usually.
this is due to shipping/ storage requirements and the ability to take abuse.

The guy that taught me to reload used CCI and I have always stuck with them and only used them now for about 50 Plus years.
I can't recall a single primer related issue over that time, maybe so but it can't be many.
The main problems that I hear with CCI is in weapons with extremely light mainspring (Hammer /striker ) drops and the failure to ignite them, course primer companies design primers to work in standard issue guns.

I use any brand and never had an issue. Have read comparisons thru the years and they show some differences, but I can't tell a difference. Recently tried the Wolf brand, and they were fine. Wallacem in Ga

Generally speaking a good way to determine primer sensitivity is to look at the box they are packaged in.
the more (larger) the package the more sensitive the primer usually.
this is due to shipping/ storage requirements and the ability to take abuse.
That's funny. I finished off a box of Federal magnum large pistol primers yesterday and did wonder why the box was so big compared to all of the other brands I have.

Back
Top Bottom