• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Zatava PAP - Single Stack Questions

07JKX

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
106   0
Reaction score
So I just picked one of these up from a newer member, really great guy and it was actually in much better condition than I expected. The only issue I am having, and it is my own fault for not researching it, is the thumbhole stock is cleary designed for a right handed shooter. There is a palm swell which does not make is impossible to shoot left handed... but definitely not very comfortable.

So basically, I am trying to determine if I should "bubba" or modify the thumbhole stock by shaving off the palm swell and essentially turning it into a ambidextrouds grip about the same width and dimensions as a standard ak pistol grip or would you trade/sell it for something else? Even though it is a single stack... this is a very well put together AK with an excellent finish. Overall I am very impressed. May even take it hunting with me this weekend.

[Broken External Image]:

Will it take standard AK furniture? If so, do that!

unfortunately not... Another thing I also failed to research (bolt goes through stock an screws into slanted receiver trunion dongle, kinda like a 870 or 500 stock)... in addition I also found that the double stack conversion is quite tedious and from many people "not worth the time" since you have to replace the bolt, grind a feed ramp, etc.

If I keep it, I plan to keep it single stack for hunting/plinking, etc. I just cant decide if I should "fix" the grip. There really are not many bolt on accessories stock wise for these things.

unfortunately not... Another thing I also failed to research (bolt goes through stock an screws into slanted receiver trunion dongle, kinda like a 870 or 500 stock)... in addition I also found that the double stack conversion is quite tedious and from many people "not worth the time" since you have to replace the bolt, grind a feed ramp, etc.

If I keep it, I plan to keep it single stack for hunting/plinking, etc. I just cant decide if I should "fix" the grip. There really are not many bolt on accessories stock wise for these things.

I have one too ... I love the finish... btw, if you want to replace the front handgrip, it's Yugo m70 size. Good question on the stock, I have seen these "converted" online but doesn't seem like it's worth it (although I shoot right handed).... I would probably sand it down. If you really want to get it converted to doublestack (the value isn't there to me) there is a company that has good success doing it. I'll see if I can find the name of the company... costs a couple of hundred bucks to get it done.

Anyway, enjoy, it's a fun gun to shoot and is my defacto "woods" gun.

I have one too ... I love the finish... btw, if you want to replace the front handgrip, it's Yugo m70 size. Good question on the stock, I have seen these "converted" online but doesn't seem like it's worth it (although I shoot right handed).... I would probably sand it down. If you really want to get it converted to doublestack (the value isn't there to me) there is a company that has good success doing it. I'll see if I can find the name of the company... costs a couple of hundred bucks to get it done.

Anyway, enjoy, it's a fun gun to shoot and is my defacto "woods" gun.

thanks jester... dont worry about the double stack conversion folks. No sense to me in spending that money when I could sell this and buy a decent double stack ak from the get go. I will see if I can take a deer this weekend and go from there.

thanks jester... dont worry about the double stack conversion folks. No sense to me in spending that money when I could sell this and buy a decent double stack ak from the get go. I will see if I can take a deer this weekend and go from there.

I feel the same.... let us know how it goes. I haven't actually hunted with it (well, killed a few tin cans).

I feel the same.... let us know how it goes. I haven't actually hunted with it (well, killed a few tin cans).

I have a reflex sight on it so I will dial it in for about 40 yards. When I hunt the swamp on the property, that is about the longest shot I would have to take. Hell, I may just use irons

If you wanted to take the time to make a custom stock you could make one to suit your left handed grip and personalize it to your hands.

Wood would work, something light like poplar painted black, you probably wouldnt be able to tell. Or if you wanted to go hightech, go get some foam and cover it with carbon, super light, super strong. If you want me to walk you through it I can. Home Depot pink rigid insulation foam, cheap, epoxy, you'll only need a little and carbon you can get from the internet, you wouldnt need that much.

that way you could make your own stock, shoot it, and then slap the original stock back onto it if you ever wanted to sell it.

Back
Top Bottom