• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deer Hunting on a WMA

polaris30144

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
19   0
Reaction score
My son and I went to a spot on Allatoona WMA yesterday to do a little deer hunting. We have hunted a couple of areas in the same place the last few weeks. We were set up about 500 yards apart and saw a couple of deer moving through early. About 10 A.M. we started hearing multiple gun shots real close. Within 10 minutes of the shots starting we saw 5 Hispanic looking and sounding fellas walking through the woods with small coolers slung over their shoulders and 3 had what appeared to be shotguns. They were randomly walking and shooting through the woods. They were obviously not hunting (none had any blaze orange nor were they being quiet). They were drinking beverages from the coolers and shooting at trees and into the air. I counted 38 shots in about 10 minutes. They walked by us without even seeing us and continued on their way shooting randomly. We left the woods and went back to our truck.

My question is, were they trying to scare people away from a plantation or just being stupid? We both thought that they were intentionally shooting in the area to discourage hunters from discovering their plants. When we drove away, we encountered an older white work van parked on the side of the road about 1/4 mile from where we parked so they obviously knew someone was in the area. We thought about calling DNR, but hesitated since by the time DNR responded they probably would be gone or out of ammo. We decided to just move to a new hunting spot a couple of miles away. Have any of the hunters on here encountered anything like this? How did you handle it? We didn't get angry, just nervous that we could have been shot.

Haven't ever had that happen. Sounds like some real dumb people for sure. I'd say call the game warden and ask them what to do the next time.

Scary situation. I would have gotten the tag # and reported it. I would be sure they will be back.

Its sad that a man cant spend valued time in the woods with his son without idiots like that which ruins it for everyone. I think I would still contact a game warden to let them know so they can keep an eye on that area. Whether their hiding something or just stupid they could kill someone and probably wouldnt care if they did. I hunt not far from there also. thanks for sharing.

We still plan on going back to hunt there. If they do a repeat performance we will notify DNR and Bartow County of the location. We know what vehicle they might be in and will get a tag number if they return. The location is on Macedonia Camp Rd.

Back
Top Bottom