• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

OMG. i just shot myself in the thigh with a 22lr AR15 conversion KIT and no gun??????

Why no thoughts about the ammo being defective???

Light primer strikes not usually ammuntion related on commercial rounds in commercially produced firearms (or parts). commercial rounds in mil rifles or mil rounds in commercial rifles maybe different story.

Nice to see you have all your 2000 parts still intact. Stuff happens when you get distracted working on a problem. Speedy recovery and "I hope you learned your lesson" :p Nothing wrong with live ammunition testing but we still have to treat it like it will do as it was intended to when/if struck....primers can be fickle. Its a good rule of thumb to always keep exit end on things pointed in a safe direction even if verified empty (doesnt hurt to get in the safety habit).
But I know you already figured this out at this point! Theres also a wealth of knowledge on here we ALL can pull from as well for help on things such as this without having to do so much brainwork and getting safety sidetracked.

I do believe that the product was defective. And I know that it wouldn't have happened with a centerfire. It was the play in the whole kit its self that caused the side of the primer. And my lack of experience with rimfire weapons was my fail. But they are sending me a new upgraded kit that! Will work. Hey it was a neat experience. I'll never use live ammo again even boar hunting

I'm with the "no attorney" crowd. If I'm using something for its intended purpose, and it fails and harms me, sure, their fault. If I'm fiddling around with live ammo, while working on a firearm, I'd file it in the self-inflicted drawer.

BUT, thank you very much for sharing your story, and reinforcing some of the rules that we should all live by.

agreed, last thing gun company's need in this country, is gun owners suing gun company's left and right.

agreed, last thing gun company's need in this country, is gun owners suing gun company's left and right.

Agreed.

Remember, snap caps are your friend. If snap caps are not your friend, you should have a reliable gunsmith as a friend(he would have snap caps).

Glad for you, this could've been a much much worse situation.

So much for the stopping power of a 22LR. That would suck to shoot a bad guy and have him laugh that now my wife is gonna kill me because it might have made a hole in the sofa.

And an upper thigh wound??? Sounds like you were only a few inches away from a catastrophic injury. :0

I am sincerely happy you are well.

Back
Top Bottom