• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

“ My AR runs, so it's fine"

OP your Rant is needed but this ^^ should be respected......
YouTube is your friend and I know that is Subjective but its true and with this Know your Limits and only do what you think you can do.
What one person does is not what is recommended by another and there in lies another issue (different rant for another Thread).
Some Gun Manufactures do not put out any detailed info on the maintenance of their firearms so you will either send to them or go to a "gunsmith" But they do put out Recommended maintenance sometimes and that depends on whether you read the manual or not.
I know people who claim to be gun smiths but I would not let them fix me a glass of water (but they put together a running AR Bwahahahahahaha - Same thing OP said).
And just because someone tells you how to fix one issue does not make them an expert on all issues (they just had the one issue you had).
Quality Tools for working on Firearms are not Cheap and not everyone has them.
I am not a Gunsmith and do not wish to be called one as I can only work on certain firearms and not all and I know my limits (Gunsmith in my mind should be Jack of all Guns).
Example: Glock of Smyrna is close and Free repair on all Glocks, when I buy a used Glock before I fire it I take it to Glock Of Smyrna and let them go through it and replace all worn parts and after every 2000 rounds I take it back, oh yea because its free - in this case why would I want to learn to work on a Glock but I do know the maintenance of one regardless of this and how to inspect it to make sure it is safe to fire.
Now my rant is over......
Disclaimer: Put out for Laughing material and should be thought of that way
Just My.02 YMMV

Another reason I don’t share links is that some of the folks I get my info from do not want their information shared. They run a business training folks IN PERSON, and I’m a member of their “private boards”. I can’t share links to that information.

I can, however, put the information in my own words and share it. I do this at all my training classes and it’s one of the things that make my courses worth the price of admission. Giving it freely to folks that don’t care to train is a version of cutting my own throat.

You said it can be subjective from one person to the next. Since this is so, why do you care what I recommend? I don’t have a huge YouTube following or similar......get your information where you will. I give info out to my current and former students, as well as folks that come over to my shop for help. That’s how I like to do it and will continue to do so.

If you’re not paying me, I’m not beholden to give you anything.

Some of the folks that have replied here are students and/or friends of mine. To those folks, I’ll get you the information you’ve requested.

To everyone else, I already clearly stated where to get the information from; School of the American Rifle. Join their FB page, or look at their YouTube videos. I’ve learned a lot of what I know from folks like Will Larsen (RIP), Mike Mihalski (SOLGW), and Chad Albrecht (SOTAR).

For those folks that are serious, I can recommend some excellent AR Armorer’s course, with SOLGW and SOTAR being the top 2 nowadays.

With the exception of a couple posts, this thread has been too counter productive.

Back to topic. Shep, are you making a simple statement or do you have some recommendations? I don't care who it is, we can all learn something new...even a commando like me!

I got you.........

With the exception of a couple posts, this thread has been too counter productive.

Back to topic. Shep, are you making a simple statement or do you have some recommendations? I don't care who it is, we can all learn something new...even a commando like me!
Buddy got a shipment of SOLGW barrels in for some rifles. 8 IIRC. Checked the gas ports on every single one of em and every single one was perfect. I was impressed. Kinda a side note, but with your avatar and this being done yesterday, figured it was worth mentioning.

Buddy got a shipment of SOLGW barrels in for some rifles. 8 IIRC. Checked the gas ports on every single one of em and every single one was perfect. I was impressed. Kinda a side note, but with your avatar and this being done yesterday, figured it was worth mentioning.

SOLGW is one of my “go to” suppliers for parts. Rock solid quality and they stand behind their stuff. All their parts and rifles have a lifetime guarantee, which even covers parts that are designed to wear out.

SOLGW is one of my “go to” suppliers for parts. Rock solid quality and they stand behind their stuff. All their parts and rifles have a lifetime guarantee, which even covers parts that are designed to wear out.
Not a single one of em was even 1 though over or undersized. Amazing. Next barrel I get will be a SOLGW. But last week was a very expensive one for me. Dont3imagine I'll be buying any more toys for a month or so.

Not a single one of em was even 1 though over or undersized. Amazing. Next barrel I get will be a SOLGW. But last week was a very expensive one for me. Dont3imagine I'll be buying any more toys for a month or so.

I hear ya. Trying to rein in my spending, as well. I’ve got a wheel in bring customized; no idea what the total will be. Ordered an STI with a bunch of mags........waiting on that to hit the CC.

I hear ya. Trying to rein in my spending, as well. I’ve got a wheel in bring customized; no idea what the total will be. Ordered an STI with a bunch of mags........waiting on that to hit the CC.
It's never ending. Having nice things is great. Having a taste for nice things and having to buy them sucks.

The average AR owner fires approximately 150rds per year. In an average class I run, you’ll shoot more than that by lunch.

I don’t care when folks say, “I’ve had my AR for X years and I’ve never had a problem!” It ain’t how long you’ve had it.....it’s how much/hard you’ve used it.

When folks fire 150rds scattered throughout the year, keep it cleaned and lubed in between, I would expect most of them to run. When you get them hot and dirty, you find the guns that are on the raggedy edge of reliability. Heat changes tolerances, for one thing. A gun that runs clean may not run dirty, due to tight/incorrect tolerances in critical areas.

I’ve had plenty of rifles come across my bench where I corrected issues that weren’t a problem......yet. Guys come over for me to install a muzzle device, or a trigger, or a rail. They’ve had the guns for a while and they “run just fine”. While I’ve got it, I go through it, and find a lot of issues. Castle nuts and gas keys not properly torqued and/or staked. Off-center gas tubes. Rifle upper receiver with carbine barrel/feed ramps (that will usually work, but why not fix it?!). Worn gas rings. Etc. etc. and so on.

I’m slowly building up the tool chest and acquiring the gauges and such I need to check every bitty thing. It’s a work in progress, and it ain’t cheap!

This ain’t just for AR’s. How often do you shoot your carry gun? When was the last time you replaced the recoil/extractor/sear/main spring? Manufacturer’s have a recommended maintenance schedule, just like you’ll find in the owner’s manual on your car or truck. Not just on replacing springs, but also critical parts like extractors. If you don’t have it, contact the manufacturer and get it. Own a Glock and Smyrna ain’t that far from you? Every 5,000rds drove on over there and have them rebuild it.

I'm going to ask this, hopefully with out judgement. What would you charge to go over an AR and teach someone what to look for and see what may need work?

Back
Top Bottom