• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

“ My AR runs, so it's fine"

The average AR owner fires approximately 150rds per year. In an average class I run, you’ll shoot more than that by lunch.

I don’t care when folks say, “I’ve had my AR for X years and I’ve never had a problem!” It ain’t how long you’ve had it.....it’s how much/hard you’ve used it.

When folks fire 150rds scattered throughout the year, keep it cleaned and lubed in between, I would expect most of them to run. When you get them hot and dirty, you find the guns that are on the raggedy edge of reliability. Heat changes tolerances, for one thing. A gun that runs clean may not run dirty, due to tight/incorrect tolerances in critical areas.

I’ve had plenty of rifles come across my bench where I corrected issues that weren’t a problem......yet. Guys come over for me to install a muzzle device, or a trigger, or a rail. They’ve had the guns for a while and they “run just fine”. While I’ve got it, I go through it, and find a lot of issues. Castle nuts and gas keys not properly torqued and/or staked. Off-center gas tubes. Rifle upper receiver with carbine barrel/feed ramps (that will usually work, but why not fix it?!). Worn gas rings. Etc. etc. and so on.

I’m slowly building up the tool chest and acquiring the gauges and such I need to check every bitty thing. It’s a work in progress, and it ain’t cheap!

This ain’t just for AR’s. How often do you shoot your carry gun? When was the last time you replaced the recoil/extractor/sear/main spring? Manufacturer’s have a recommended maintenance schedule, just like you’ll find in the owner’s manual on your car or truck. Not just on replacing springs, but also critical parts like extractors. If you don’t have it, contact the manufacturer and get it. Own a Glock and Smyrna ain’t that far from you? Every 5,000rds drove on over there and have them rebuild it.

You went through the trouble of torture testing your "high end" AR's and PSA's? Did you video any of it? Did you document any of it? What exactly was the torture test? Did you share the results? Will you share them now?

I have tried to keep tests similar for both sets of weapons..
Basic Balistics, Accuracy, Rates of Fire, Trigger pull and function
Try to create FTF or FTE’s.. I have been pretty impressed with functionality.. Again run rounds down range monthly..

I am pretty anal abour breaking down and cleaning and inspecting between shooting..

I have tried to keep tests similar for both sets of weapons..
Basic Balistics, Accuracy, Rates of Fire, Trigger pull and function
Try to create FTF or FTE’s.. I have been pretty impressed with functionality.. Again run rounds down range monthly..

I am pretty anal abour breaking down and cleaning and inspecting between shooting..
I want to hear about the torture test. Which guns failed? Which ones didn't? What was the torture test?

I want to here about the torture test. Which guns failed? Which ones didn't? What was the torture test?

I am sure my torture test will never size up to you or what you require, but have ran rounds with no lubrication, introduced moisture, water, debris, have had where trigger and charging handle got extremely gritty and had to use froward assist to place into battery..

Actually my DD had FTF issues.. The PSA trigger felt really spongy or dead.. did not have any specific failures on same parts..

Sounds like you want to take away jobs from hard working armorers and gunsmiths. :p

I admit, I'm ignorant about these things. I shoot so little that learning about maintenance has not been a priority for me. You make a good point though. We check our tires/fluid/filters in our vehicles and do preventative maintenance.
Most don’t until it’s a problem...

Any suggested links?

OP your Rant is needed but this ^^ should be respected......
YouTube is your friend and I know that is Subjective but its true and with this Know your Limits and only do what you think you can do.
What one person does is not what is recommended by another and there in lies another issue (different rant for another Thread).
Some Gun Manufactures do not put out any detailed info on the maintenance of their firearms so you will either send to them or go to a "gunsmith" But they do put out Recommended maintenance sometimes and that depends on whether you read the manual or not.
I know people who claim to be gun smiths but I would not let them fix me a glass of water (but they put together a running AR Bwahahahahahaha - Same thing OP said).
And just because someone tells you how to fix one issue does not make them an expert on all issues (they just had the one issue you had).
Quality Tools for working on Firearms are not Cheap and not everyone has them.
I am not a Gunsmith and do not wish to be called one as I can only work on certain firearms and not all and I know my limits (Gunsmith in my mind should be Jack of all Guns).
Example: Glock of Smyrna is close and Free repair on all Glocks, when I buy a used Glock before I fire it I take it to Glock Of Smyrna and let them go through it and replace all worn parts and after every 2000 rounds I take it back, oh yea because its free - in this case why would I want to learn to work on a Glock but I do know the maintenance of one regardless of this and how to inspect it to make sure it is safe to fire.
Now my rant is over......
Disclaimer: Put out for Laughing material and should be thought of that way
Just My.02 YMMV

Back
Top Bottom