1 bad apple in NJ, wait 2 bad apples, no, wait 3 bad apples.

I think I see where our opinions seem to differ. I'm not suggesting that you or I personally can do anything about another states problems. I'm suggesting that by posting information on the web for the world to see ,the awareness of any subject it heightened.
The publicity that a subject receives will drive political environments to move in a certain direction and the Sheriff is a political figure.

I despise the blatant cop bashing that frequents ODT and would contend that the people that obviously have an axe to grind have, but not always, made some poor decisions resulting in their opinions of LE.

You seem to be taking this a little more of a personal attack that what it is. I haven't suggested that you do nothing in your community, are arrogant or that you have your head in the sand. As a matter of fact, I have not suggested that you think anything, I've only responded to you. You have no idea what I personally think and you won't from a simple internet post. Surely there are more important things in life for you to get excited about.

My personal views tend to be more direct and very much politically incorrect. So before you assume what anyone "thinks" you might want to have more of a private conversation with them.

I grew up in a small town where it took outside pressure to remove a corrupt Sheriff. It took years to weed through the deputies before a good department was formed out of the ashes.

I dislike bad cops as much cop bashers, that's why I love my job. Like I've said before, we discuss videos posted on the internet and use them as a training tools and if they weren't there training would not be as productive. So I still say bring on the videos, there's something to lean from each and every one of them, even if the lesson is how to better spot an a-hole instigator with a camera.

I like this response.

As former LEO here in GA, I learned that the uneducated are everywhere.....with a badge, without a badge, on a forum and not on a forum. People shouldnt judge good police for bad cops. They need to be held accountable, as does everyone bashing anything on this forum. Don't judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes.

People are corrupt at one level or another. All of them.

So what percentage would you say is more correct ?

Here is 6 officers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKPAqJH08Hk

I count 7 cops here (3 on horseback). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A0n2qMxf0c

Here is 88 from 25 precincts (let's say 3.5 per precinct) http://www.lawofficer.com/article/news/florida-trooper-harassed-threa

60/40 ? 70/30 ? Please please please do not say 1 bad apple.

With departments in the numbers of 70 officers in small cities to hundreds in large cities, I'd say that 6 or 7 individuals do not make a percentage large enough to consider a department bad.
Just like the number of people that post anti LE threads do not make up enough percentage of the ODT community to say that ODT is anti LE.

I would think the percentage of bad (meaning corrupt) LEO'S across the nation is in the single digits if not lower. The percentage of poorly trained is another story, but that's a completely different story and problem all together. Most of what is called a "bad cop" is more of an under trained officer that just doesn't know how to handle a situation.

Scared dogs bite, but scared humans kill. The way I see it, you would do better to post with the attitude of awareness and not so much anti LEO. You might not be anti LEO, but that's how you come across.

Just because you have web searching skills it doesn't prove the majority of LEO's are bad. Do you know how many officers there are currently serving in the U.S.? If not, any percentage you put out there is nothing but a biased guess.

Win people over with research and facts.

With departments in the numbers of 70 officers in small cities to hundreds in large cities, I'd say that 6 or 7 individuals do not make a percentage large enough to consider a department bad.
Just like the number of people that post anti LE threads do not make up enough percentage of the ODT community to say that ODT is anti LE.

I would think the percentage of bad (meaning corrupt) LEO'S across the nation is in the single digits if not lower. The percentage of poorly trained is another story, but that's a completely different story and problem all together. Most of what is called a "bad cop" is more of an under trained officer that just doesn't know how to handle a situation.

Scared dogs bite, but scared humans kill. The way I see it, you would do better to post with the attitude of awareness and not so much anti LEO. You might not be anti LEO, but that's how you come across.

Just because you have web searching skills it doesn't prove the majority of LEO's are bad. Do you know how many officers there are currently serving in the U.S.? If not, any percentage you put out there is nothing but a biased guess.

Win people over with research and facts.

50/50 is not a majority. I honesty pray it's not that high. I do honestly think is greater than 10% though (truly corrupt/brutal) but I think it is MUCH MUCH higher (than 10%) if you count those who let it happen. The other issue is not corrupt or poorly trained, it's those that go along. See this post and read the lady's letter. An officer she knew let other officers intimidate her. http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/633695-Rural-Georgia-police-state

edit - you can't use the entire the police force number in my example because in my examples they are all on the same shift. Odds are not all the bad apples are on the same shift, they are spread over all the shifts. So you need to use the number working at that time.

Last edited:
http://libertycrier.com/cops-always-camera/

If less than 10% are "bad" how can this statistic be? Complaints reduced 80% , let's assume 1/2 are frivolous. Use of force declined 50%. Let's say 1/2 of the time people brought it on themselves. That is still 25% of a 66 membered force. Do we really want 25% of our police force using excessive force on us ?

Other than assumptions like this, the only way for better numbers is to actually go to a department and request records and do hard research. I am considering it but not sure I have the time. Do you think Gwinnett PD would "help" me with research if asked them ? Would they provide me access to such reports. I think there would be resistance.

Last edited:
http://libertycrier.com/cops-always-camera/

If less than 10% are "bad" how can this statistic be? Complaints reduced 80% , let's assume 1/2 are frivolous. Use of force declined 50%. Let's say 1/2 of the time people brought it on themselves. That is still 25% of a 66 membered force. Do we really want 25% of our police force using excessive force on us ?

Other than assumptions like this, the only way for better numbers is to actually go to a department and request records and do hard research. I am considering it but not sure I have the time. Do you think Gwinnett PD would "help" me with research if asked them ? Would they provide me access to such reports. I think there would be resistance.

With the tone of some of your posts, I would think you would have a hard time getting any department to help with research.

Back
Top Bottom