• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

10/22 rifle into a charger

JSimotes

Default rank <500 posts Supporter
Come as You Are
71   0
Reaction score
I am considering building a 10/22 charger out of a 10/22 rifle receiver I have. Are there any legal steps I need to go through? The firearm will fit within all guide lines to be considered a pistol. I know an AR receiver can but purchased and turned into a Pistol if again firearm fits within all guide lines to be considered a pistol.

I'm sure I know the answer but wanted to get some opinions.

Thanks,

Jason

What type of firearm was it down as on the 4473?

Q: Can this receiver b used to build a charger pistol?
Asked by: Dave - 1/29/2016
A: As of 2016, our receivers are shipped as receivers to your local FFL. So, if the receiver is logged in at the manufacturer (which is us) as a receiver then then the customer is allowed to designate if it is a rifle or pistol. But if it is designated as a rifle then formal paperwork must be filled out to modify it into a pistol. Good shooting! KIDD

http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Aftermarket-22LR-Receiver-Classic-Slip-Fit-Model_p_18.html#

Once a rifle, always a rifle.
A Ruger 10/22 rifle receiver can't be used to make a Charger type pistol.
if you did that, the resulting firearm would be classified as an SBR --short-barreled rifle. You would need to have pre-filed the Form 1, paid the $200 tax, and gotten the ATF's special stamp.

If however you bought a Charger pistol, you could temporarily add a full length barrel and a shoulder stock to it, making it a rifle or carbine temporarily.
And then you would be free to return it to the pistol configuration.

ATF has always disagreed that this was legal, but in 1979 they lost a Supreme Court case where the highest court in the land found their position to be ridiculous and not supported by the actual law passed by Congress.

Back
Top Bottom