• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

10/28 Hunt

We've all screwed up.... it's called buck fever for a reason. As a outdoorsman the only things you have control over is your ability and equipment. After making a living hunting and fishing the excuses I've heard are many.

I disagree strongly. I believe that when we make mistakes we need to analyze them, learn from them, and not repeat them. Beating oneself up over possibly maiming an animal or putting a slow, agonizing death upon an animal is just reason to beat oneself up. Especially if when we are honest with ourselves we know the shot was sketchy and we rushed it or had buck fever etc. Not saying nor implying OP did either. Just commenting on what I read as brush it off no big deal. I hate seeing SO many posts here in GA of poor shot placement, giving up on finding the shot animal, etc. It does nothing good for public (mis)perception of hunters, but more importantly it puts the shooter in bad light as disrespectful, uncaring, and irresponsible. A dog can do what no man can do. If I were in the position I would call in a dog to track the deer.
Doubling down….

I might have missed it in the pages on this topic - what position was the deer in when you took the shot - broadside straight on, broadside angled to or away, quartering?

I think shoulder shots are dangerous because if you are off forward from broadside you hit brisket and neck, and either can end up with a deer moving off without a trace. Quartering away and you can miss the lungs and possibly even the shoulder depending on angle.

The other question I have is I thought somewhere you said you saw the hole in the deer - you kept eye on scope and saw the puncture?

Have you target shot same firearm from same distance since, to see if scope is off?
Complete dick….

I hope he shoots the rifle and checks out the rings and scope real good.
If he torqued that vortex to more than 18 inch lbs it probably bent the tube and isn’t any good.
I had a vortex scope mounted by someone else torqued to 25 inch lbs and it wouldn’t stay on zero.
Vortex replaced it under warranty but told me there scope’s could only be torqued to 18 inch lbs.

Back
Top Bottom