• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

10mm??? Who needs it when you have .40

i'd carry a 10mm handgun if sig sauer would make a gun for it, but the gun choices are very slim when it comes to 10mm unfortunately, i shot a handgun in that caliber before and i think its better then 40 s&w but there has not been enough different firearms straight form the factory with 10mm option

Last edited:
That's where long shot comes in. This is a newer powder and it produces great velocity without a lot of pressure. Bullseye or solo1k trying to reach these velocities is unsafe. I can't get more than 1000 without pressure signs from those powders

i will let you guys know how it goes. Loaded 500 last night. Going to shoot them all Saturday morning.

The problem for us is; we can identify obvious signs of over-pressure on our brass but when there are none this does not mean it's not over pressure.

The labs use a barrel fixture with specialized equipment to record measurable PSI. Old school was CUP (copper unit) which yielded to PSI (more accurate?).

Using slower burning powders will help reduce given pressures. The loads you are working up hopefully have been lab tested and you're using that data to guide your loads. If not then you accept an added measure of risk.

Elmer Keith blew up several .44 Special revolvers working up his "hot loads" being the catalyst that allowed Remington to create the .44 magnum-Smith & Wesson to create the gun to shoot it (model 29).

Working to create a .40 S&W Magnum seems:

1). Unwise
2). Risky
3). A solution to a non-existent issue as we already have a .40 S&W Magnum. It's called 10mm.

I have used 800X powder for some incredible 40 loads. I stick with the load manual data, but I get more velocity than the book predicts. Blue Dot and HS-6 are also good. Your results are better than Hodgdon's own load data with a max charge.

As far as lead in polygonal barrel goes: there is a reason for all the negative opinions. Consider that the Glock manual does not say anything about not using lead. Correct me if I am mistaken. It is the people who have had bad results with lead in the Glock that have done the talking. Most folks want to shoot as cheaply as possible. So, if lead worked well, people would be using it.

I suppose that there may be some cast bullets that are hard enough and properly sized for the Glock but I have not ever found any. And, the search just isn't worth it. It is easier to buy the KKM, Lone Wolf, or Storm Lake barrel for lead, or to just shoot jacketed bullets.

The 10mm is capable of substantially more power than the 40. The 10mm case is designed to function at hi pressures in unsupported barrels. The brass at the base of the case is thicker.

If the cost was not a factor, the 10 is all I would want.

Side note: jacketed bullets always gave me higher velocities in the Glock barrels than cast lead. I always figured it was the rifling.

Last edited:
I have used 800X powder for some incredible 40 loads. I stick with the load manual data, but I get more velocity than the book predicts. Blue Dot and HS-6 are also good. Your results are better than Hodgdon's own load data with a max charge.

As far as lead in polygonal barrel goes: there is a reason for all the negative opinions. Consider that the Glock manual does not say anything about not using lead. Correct me if I am mistaken. It is the people who have had bad results with lead in the Glock that have done the talking. Most folks want to shoot as cheaply as possible. So, if lead worked well, people would be using it.

I suppose that there may be some cast bullets that are hard enough and properly sized for the Glock but I have not ever found any. And, the search just isn't worth it. It is easier to buy the KKM, Lone Wolf, or Storm Lake barrel for lead, or to just shoot jacketed bullets.

The 10mm is capable of substantially more power than the 40. The 10mm case is designed to function at hi pressures in unsupported barrels. The brass at the base of the case is thicker.

If the cost was not a factor, the 10 is all I would want.

Side note: jacketed bullets always gave me higher velocities in the Glock barrels than cast lead. I always figured it was the rifling.

Nope, glock does specifically say not to use anything other than FMJ bullets.

I have read the manual cover to cover and must have missed it.

Can you tell me the page number or scan a pic of it? You are the first to tell me that it does say only FMJ.

Has anybody seen any non-jacketed commercially loaded autoloader ammo lately? I never heard anything about plated ammo being a problem though. I've never seen any that have been fired, does the process strip the plating?

Back
Top Bottom