• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

12ga 00 vs Slugs vs .650

Espartis

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
60   0
Reaction score
Was looking at some self defense rounds to load up into my drum and have 3 options I'm considering. I was curious as to what others here use and have fired sucessfully. 00 Buck I know will cycle fine but I've actually not ran slugs and recently came across some .650 round ball shells. What would be the underlining difference between a slug and a .650 in performance?

I used to run all 00 buck in my benelli supernova but since I have the semi auto power of the saiga and a detachable mag I want to make sure I utilize to it's fullest.

Thanks all!

the round ball is terrible for accuracy, short distances is alright, but you might as well go slug, the ball is smaller than the barrel by some measurement.

I use #4 buckshot and slugs in rotation for HD. I'm not up on the ball stuff?

similar to a slug but a ball:

IMG_1176_2.jpg

supposed to penetrate more than a slug though.

Im paranoid about shooting slugs in a choked barrel but these might be just the ticket for that. A lot of turkey chokes and "extra extra full" chokes are .650-.680, probably wouldnt work out too bad. Will have to give this a shot see how it works.

Last edited:
3.5in #5 shot turkey load. putting 250 pellets down at 1300 fps. with a pattern the size of a softball at 20 yards.

Back
Top Bottom