• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 diminishing returns

I'm glad I bought that Wilson 1911 back then, it cost $1740 with one extra mag. It came with 2 but I wanted 3. Last time I looked, a Protector didn't even come in the Compact version and it was over $3500!

ETA: I just looked on their website and they're offering the Compact model again. The cost: $3875, DAMN! Lol! That's $2135 more than it cost in 1999, more than double. Again, DAMN! Lol!

I've shot two Colt Gold Cup National Match pistols, and a number of Colt and Springfield and other good brand 1911's in full size, Commander length, and Officer's Model sizes. I've used off-brands like Taurus and one other that was made in some third-world country (Philippines?)

The 1911 that I bought for my carry and "bowling pin match" gun was an Auto-Ordnance. Satin nickle finish.
I added finger-groove rubber grips, upgraded the sights, and had a gunsmith do a feed ramp polish and chamber throat job on it, so that it would reliably feed empty cases. I got a different ejector so it wouldn't check the empties back straight into my face.

I bought the gun for what would be about $500 today, with inflation over the years.

The gunsmith work cost another $75.

The sights and grip replacement, maybe another $125.
So, my total investment in that gun was about $700.

My friend bought a Taurus 1911 that sold brand new for $700 and would feed hollowpoints reliably, even wide mouth ones (flying ashtrays, we called them) right out of the box. It had excellent sights and a number of features that would have been gunsmith-performed custom features a generation ago.

So, I'm thinking for about $700- $900 you should be able to get a 1911 that will do just about anything you want it to do, unless you expect to win a lot of trophies and prizes at bullseye pistol matches, where you want to keep a 4" group at 50 yards.

i dont think Id be able to hit a 2inch group at 25 but a 4inc i think is doable with a good 1911

I cant do it either, but that doesn't mean my gun isn't capable. I'd put money that it would shoot a 2" or tighter group @ 25 yrds in a vice or with a more competent shooter. I can do it at around 17 yards, but past that my eyes start being the limiting factor

My brother is a distinguished pistol shooter and has worn out several 1911's . His current pistol was built by Bob Marvel and he has a few others built by some of the name 1911 gunsmiths. My impression is that a 1911 that will run thousands of rounds and shoot sub 3 inches at 50 yards takes about $2,000 anything more that that is fluff or paying for the name on the side. He shoots in excess of 30,000 rounds year . Also a 1911 requires a frame rails to be tightened up at about 30,000 rounds and parts will break.

Some threads in wandered into were talking 2-4 inch groups at 25 yards with 1911s.
Definitely better than I can shoot

"Run and gun" a la IPSC is all the rage, but if you want to see what a 1911 will do, go to a Bullseye match.

Granted their guns probably lack something in bullet selection, and total reliability, but in terms of demonstration the upper edge of 1911 accuracy, Bullseye is it.

Do you want an "assembly line" production 1911, a "semi custom" 1911 or a "custom" 1911? The more hand assembly that goes into making it, the more the price goes up. The better the parts, the more the price goes up. I keep reading about the name stamped on the side and this really doesn't make sense to me why this is even a point. Maybe for some, the name on the side is important, but for me it's what stands behind the name that is important. How's the customer service? How is the quality? Everybody will have their own experiences with each manufacturer, but what I don't get is when people slam manufacturers and they have not even owned or shot one, just slamming them because of price. Find the 1911 you like and that would be the one I would get (even if you have to save up a little more for it).

Back
Top Bottom