• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 diminishing returns

I was guessing cars may come up. To me that's only mildly relevant. 1911 haven't changed much and there is no where near as many moving parts in a 1911 as in a car. The research that goes into a modern high performance vehicle for electronics, performance, engineering and design. A 1911 is an unchanged design that's been out longer than I've been alive. Note I'm not referencing new designs for firearms. Even then I'm sure production costs of a $500,000 car is a little more than a $50,000 one. Personally I'd rather have a nice truck. It does more for less.What parts in a 1911 can justify a cost increase of 400% ?

I've rode in Dodge Viper+BMW and owned Z28. I could tell a lot of difference in engine performance of the Viper and Interior of the BMW. I've shot a Sig 1911, p220, Glock, HKs, Smiths, Rugers, Walther ect... but have not shot 4k pistol. I highly doubt my trigger finger would justify $3000 difference over a Springfield loaded for example.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I agree. I have had WCs (not hating on them, just my experience) that couldn't group no matter what ammo or loads I tried. Norinco shot much tighter groups. The DW Valor has about the best factory trigger I've felt other than Hi-Standard target pistols. I like the Les Baer TRS because it's tightly fitted, well made and all parts numbered to the gun. I paid $1,600 + about $235 for a new FCG for the Colt Giles BE pistol, that's the most I've paid for a centerfire pistol, ever. The Les Baer was about $1,525 + tax (If memory serves) and the Valor about the same. To be fair though, I'm trying to keep 10 of 10 shots in a string inside a 3.25" circle (10 ring on an NRA B8) at 25 yards, offhand.

I shot a RIA 1911 last year that was more accurate than I am. Fine shooter. Not what I am looking for in a 1911 for other reasons, looks being only one reason, but a good shooter, nonetheless. It's all about what you want and how much you want it. I've shot 1911's that were less than $1000 and they were excellent guns, and they looked great. I'm not a collector or necessarily an enthusiast of 1911's (yet) so for my needs spending more than $1000 for one doesn't make sense, but I totally get it if someone else wants a higher end gun and that's what they love.

If you are even attempting to fire 10 of 10 shots in a string inside a 3.25" circle at 25 yards, offhand, you are a much better shot than me. LOL

I guess it really depends on the buyer and what the use of the 1911 will be.
as for not getting anything extra fro the money, well I don't agree with that.
the higher priced , hand assembled weapons will cost more and hold value better, simple as that.
now I don't think you get dollar return for dollar spent even on these.
there is one thing that seems generally that you do get as you get higher in the cost is more assurance the weapon is going to function well, accuracy is going to be good and a pretty good customer support base from the manufacture.
as to how well someone can take advantage of higher priced weapons is more about the shooter than the gun.
its the individual that may want to impress others with his/her expensive toy and if it works for them then more power to them.
many 1911's are just things of beauty and usually they will shoot well too.

Great feedback. I've been wanting to add a 1911 to my collection.
I've had 3 and sold/traded them away. I'm looking for a shooter an not a safe queen but,
I'd also like a little bling/fluff for range day wandering eyes. So far Springfield and Sig have my attention but, I still haven't committed to any brand yet.

I think for the average shooter once you get into the $800 plus range there is a diminishing return. But back in the 90s I shot USPSA limited. Started off with Series 80 Gold Cup. Got as far as I could go with it. Went with a stock Para P14. Reached a plateau with it. Had some custom work done to it (back then you couldn't get a 1911 with the custom parts as you can now). Reached a plateau again. The went with a Para P16 built by Tommy Abernathy. That gun is better than I will ever be. After somewhere near 50000 rds it still runs flawlessly.So yes high ender guns can make a difference. But if it is shooting your after you can get a basic 1911 and have work done to it to make a top notched shooter without paying for a name. But my P16 at the time cost me then what I thought was a small fortune. So unless your willing to put in the time and the rounds down range. An $800 or less 1911 will work just fine. A friend of mine in Ohio that has a lot of custom guns built (high end revolver work) said his smith claims the Ruger 1911 is the best 1911 to build a custom gun on.

Like i said, its all based on preference and wants. These high dollar 1911 are made based on little details you would probably never ever notice. Fluted barrels, fluted chambers, 50 lpi or whatever, dehorned edges, i mean for a normal person would you ever truly notice these little differences? Probably not. But I pay extremely close attention to detail. Do you need these little luxuries? No but its there. And like vehicles, do you truly need a 500+ hp car, seat massagers, or hell even leather seats? No. But its the little useless things that makes it so much more expensive and luxurious. And that 1 person with money will buy that Ferrari.

And plus, think of it in the business aspect. Would you rather sell 100 pencils for $1 each or 1 pencil with lights and a little bit of glitter to it for $100? It takes just 1 idiot with money in his pocket to buy it and wow all his friends. Made as much money as the 100 for way less work.

But to answer your real and true question, no you do not have to pay $3500 for a gun that will do what you need as far as accuracy, reliability, and looks. But if you want the total, and I mean total, package of luxury, I don't think it will be easy to find for $1500. But for $1500, it is definitely possible to find a balance of nice, accuracy, definitely reliability.

I'm a longtime 1911 aficionado, and friends with a couple of custom 1911smiths that are some of the top names in the world.

If you want an outstanding 1911 without breaking the bank, get a Springfield Armory TRP. You want to spend more than that, get a Wilson. That's it.

Back
Top Bottom