• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 experts, come on in. Trigger question.

bluesman2a

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
32   0
Reaction score
So I started playing the the over-travel screw on my 1911. I ran it down WAY too far, not really understanding what I was looking for at the time. When I was done running it down, it wouldn't even release the hammer.

So I backed it off. But I found a problem: SOMETHING on the trigger now gives me a "click" just after I depress through the take-up. It's more of a feel than a sound, and it hasn't changed the trigger-pull appreciably, but right after you take-up the slop in the trigger, there it is, every time... CLICK. Then the hammer drops as normal. This behavior was NOT there before.

I went back and tried to find it. Replaced the trigger assembly and bow with a new one. Tried replacing the sear-spring. Nothing will resolve this.

Anybody got suggestions as to what it is or what I did? Did I do something to the sear/disconnector?

Insure the entire frictional pathway is free of any binding and operates smoothly.

The trigger, the bow, the bow channels, the grip safety and the sear group should have a smooth path.

Sounds like the spring in the handle that resets the Trigger might be binding a little.
Remove the Mainspring housing and check the spring to see if it is binding.

If it happens to be a colt series 80 type gun with a trigger actuated firing pin safety, you may be hearing or feeling the firing pin safety realease lever.

If your new trigger bow is slightly taller at the rear of the bow, you may be scraping against the top of the notch in the grip safety. If this is the case, you need to file a little off the grip safety notch.

FYI -- do not cut it too close with the over travel adjustment. It won't help you shoot better and may cause malfunctioning.

Back
Top Bottom