• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 question

nelsonatlbuilders

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
80   0
Reaction score
i own 3 1911's, a custom smith s/s. kimber eclipse custom 2, and a dan wesson pointman 7, i prefer the dan wesson for accuracy and feel, even though all are accurate. the smith and dan wesson are 5" and the kimber is commander. what are some other good 1911's for around 1000, new or used. i was thinking of trying a springfield but have no experience with them. any thoughts also, what the difference between a regular springfield and a loaded version. thanks

The S&W and DW have both been great performers for me. I've had a couple Kimbers that were solid pistols, but nothing to write home about. I've had too many series II that simply were not good at all. I've had hit and miss experience with the S/A 1911s' too. The S/A XD series are great, and I have a S/A M1A that shoots better than I can, so I'm not anti S/A, at all. You can get a bad "one" in anything and any brand, I know this. I guess I'm due to get a bad one in anything since I buy and trade for so many. I've yet to get a bad Smith though, and I believe for the $$$ the Dan Wessons are in a class by themselves. I'm all about trying new stuff, but I like feeling confident that I can go get a new Smith or Dan Wesson and it'll shoot, as advertised. I bought a $400.00 Metro Arms 1911 last week that's a great shooter so far. It eats my .452 cast semiwadcutters like nobodys' business. You never know? Chuckdog

I have a couple of Springers and love em. My most recent is the loaded target sts in stainless. It comes with most all of the bells and whistles (the important ones anyway) and is in your price range. I highly recommend this pistol. it shoots much better than I am capable of and is super accurate. It has a match barrel, extended ambi safety, beavertail with the bump, match trigger,hammer, adjustable sights, etc.
if you want the checkered front strap and wide mouth mag well then check out the trophy match. Their website has a bazillion offerings. if I had it to do over again I would buy the loaded target sts in a heartbeat. You wont go wrong with this pistol.
Springers are built with forged slides and frames unlike many others.
They also have a lifetime warranty but unlike some other manufacturers I've never needed the warranty on a Springer.
Good luck BHJ

STI also makes a great 1911, some of which are in the price range you described. I have a STI Guardian in 45 and it is the best 1911 I've owned as far as function, fit, and quality of materials used. Here's a pic of mine and they usually sell for around $950.

[Broken External Image]:

what are some other good 1911's for around 1000, new or used.

Dan Wessons are tough to beat at that price point, and if you look hard you can find used Springfield TRP's in that range.

also, what the difference between a regular springfield and a loaded version. thanks

The Loaded is a just a model name that Springfield produces.

For the $550+/- range, you cannot outfit a 1911 any better than the Taurus PT1911. Completely loaded grade pistol at a milspec price.

At that price point I agree, but to get that weapon with those features down to that price, a LOT of corners had to be cut, and most of them are items I just can't accept going cheap on. For my money, the more accurate statement would be
For the $550+/- range, you cannot outfit a 1911

At that price point I agree, but to get that weapon with those features down to that price, a LOT of corners had to be cut, and most of them are items I just can't accept going cheap on. For my money, the more accurate statement would be

so we can safely say you are not MIM-ber of the taurus 1911 fan club !?

That would be a fair assessment. Not saying they don't have a place, they just don't have a place in my safe.

Back
Top Bottom