• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911's are heeeaaavy.......

Kind of like Glock with Smyrna, GA on the frame and Austria on the slide? :)

And I won't be buying another Springfield. Never again.
Glock is an Austrian company that opened business in the USA, creating jobs in the USA. Springfield is an American company that stopped manufacturing and started rebranding imported products under the old, trusted name, gleaning profits in the USA without creating manufacturing jobs here. Also, many Glocks ARE now made in the USA. Unfortunately, they are NOT as good as the ones that were made in Austria. Our EPA banned the Tennifer process as unsafe so USA made Glocks have a lesser treatment process. (last I read at any rate).

Also, I would trust an Austrian made over a Croatian made ANYTHING, but especially guns.

I'm used to carrying a SIG P229 and 2 spare mags, plus a set of handcuffs, on my belt for work for the past 15 years. Always concealed and for 12 to 20 hours straight. Weight, or how long I'm carrying that weight, is not a concern for me.

Before that I wore a Level IIIA vest and full Police belt all day; G22, 2 spare mags, 26" ASP baton, 2 pairs of handcuffs, a radio, and pepper-spray. What I wear now is a joy compared to that.

Before that, I was in the Marines. Not going to go into what I humped THERE.

It's all in what you're used to.

If the safety and/or hammer of your CCW piece is digging into your side, that's the fault of your poor choice of holster/carry method, not the handgun.

The hammer on my P229 has never dug into my side or abdomen in 15 years. Never the safety or hammer of a 1911, either.

If the safety and/or hammer of your CCW piece is digging into your side, that's the fault of your poor choice of holster/carry method, not the handgun.

The hammer on my P229 has never dug into my side or abdomen in 15 years. Never the safety or hammer of a 1911, either.
I think it's actually the fault of my diet and exercise deficiency more than anything. But sitting in the car it can get uncomfortable.

Glock is an Austrian company that opened business in the USA, creating jobs in the USA. Springfield is an American company that stopped manufacturing and started rebranding imported products under the old, trusted name, gleaning profits in the USA without creating manufacturing jobs here. Also, many Glocks ARE now made in the USA. Unfortunately, they are NOT as good as the ones that were made in Austria. Our EPA banned the Tennifer process as unsafe so USA made Glocks have a lesser treatment process. (last I read at any rate).

Also, I would trust an Austrian made over a Croatian made ANYTHING, but especially guns.

Just funnin' with you. I won't spend another dime with Springfield. Not ever. On the flip side, I am certain Glock will take more of my money.

DA/SA's are a more difficult platform to master, but not insurmountable with proper training. Ben Stoeger won the USPS Nationals (and more) running a Beretta 92. Ernest Langdon won multiple IDPA Nationals, and many more titles, using a Beretta 92. It's the craftsman that's sets himself apart, not his tools.

I've heard Ken Hackathorn say more than once, "Those folks that say a DA/SA can't be run we'll need to come and watch you Air Marshals shoot!"

For most folks, there's no reason to run a DA/SA with the plethora of excellent, striker-fired handguns available nowadays; Glock, SIG, HK, CZ, FN, S&W, Steyr, etc.

Cocked n' locked, like the 1911 and BHP, are a whole 'nother learning and training curve. If you're not comfortable with the weapon being cocked in your holster, or having to use a manual safety, then they're not the platform for you. Plenty of other tasty fish in the sea.

Every single pistol on the market today has its good and bad points. If there were a demonstratable perfect pistol, we'd all be carrying it. Most SIG's have a high bore axis and that long, first shot, DA trigger. Most Beretta's have a slide mounted decocking safety that can inadvertently be activated while working the slide (although the G models fix that issue nicely). Certain CZ slides can be difficult to work under stress, especially with slippery/bloody hands. When 2 grown men wrestle over the same Glock, the frame can flex allowing the slide to come off the rails (seen more than one pic of it, with reliable attestations, and seen it happen myself in a training environment). If it can happen to Glock, it can happen to the other plastic-framed handguns as well. A full-grown man falling hard onto his holstered HK USP can snap the grip in half. If it can happen to an HK USP, it can happen to any of the plastic-framed semi-autos.

I make no bones about being a die-hard 1911 fan. I run them better than anything; I used one to get my USPSA GM ranking. It's my favorite combat handgun, but I won't say it's the best......it is the best for ME. I'm not so presumptuous as to say that Brand X is the perfect combat handgun.

On duty I carry a SIG P229. Off-duty I carry a Beretta. When I teach classes, I run a SIG, Beretta 92, or 1911, depending upon what I'm teaching.

It is asinine to announce what your favorite pistol is, then berate others for their differing opinion. I like posting memes, like the one that opened this thread, because I find them funny; not because it echoes some deep-seated opinion within me. Rest aassured, if I want to make my true opinions on a subject matter known, it will not be in meme form.

I'm used to carrying a SIG P229 and 2 spare mags, plus a set of handcuffs, on my belt for work for the past 15 years. Always concealed and for 12 to 20 hours straight. Weight, or how long I'm carrying that weight, is not a concern for me.

Before that I wore a Level IIIA vest and full Police belt all day; G22, 2 spare mags, 26" ASP baton, 2 pairs of handcuffs, a radio, and pepper-spray. What I wear now is a joy compared to that.

Before that, I was in the Marines. Not going to go into what I humped THERE.

It's all in what you're used to.

I have to carry all sorts of crap on my belt for work. All day, everyday. I agree if you are used to it, a few ounces here or there shouldn't make much difference in normal, everyday carry.

Carry systems are important. Once I decided to take my system a little more seriously, it opened a whole new world to me. I also discovered that what works best for me dictates my carry system, including the gun, instead of simply carrying what I like because of the cool factor. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else but it does to me.

Back
Top Bottom