• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2003 Jeep TJ - what's wrong with my A/C

I don't think you can just add oil to a system and then look for leaks. First, it has to be the correct oil (PAG or Ester - there may be more) If you have too much I suspect you will damage the compressor or clog your orifice tube. You might could add refrigerant with dye and look but you would still need to fix the leak and likely replace and seals that were opened. You seem to have gauges and a vacuum pump so at least you would have a better chance than most. Unfortunately, refrigerant is expensive when you are trying to learn on your on. Good Luck.

You need to have the freon in it pulled out and the exact system amount put in. What your describing is normal for a system extremely low on freon. There is a pressure switch that cuts the compressor off when pressure is too low to keep the compressor from burning itself up. Oil circulates with the freon, when freon level drops so does oil circulation which burns up the compressor.

I am assuming your using one of those parts store charge kits?? Those are dangerous. Stop wasting money and take it to a shop that can charge it properly. R134A is difficult to "top off" like we used to do with R12. It runs at higher pressures and will spike quickly and kaboom. I have replace numerous hoses, compressors and condensers for DIY's that overcharged a 134 system on a hot day.

Not using a parts store charge kit, using the vacuum line attached to the gauge set and slowly adding. My intent was just to validate the system is working properly with no leaks, then I'll evacuate fully with the pump and fill with the prescribed amount which is 14 ounces. Just picked up this jeep recently and the system wasn't coming on because the dash panel was damaged. Once I put in a new dash panel it'll come on but isn't cold. I expected it to have little to no refrigerant in it, just trying to figure out if I simply need to vacuum and refill now, or if I need to replace other parts or seals first.

Not using a parts store charge kit, using the vacuum line attached to the gauge set and slowly adding. My intent was just to validate the system is working properly with no leaks, then I'll evacuate fully with the pump and fill with the prescribed amount which is 14 ounces. Just picked up this jeep recently and the system wasn't coming on because the dash panel was damaged. Once I put in a new dash panel it'll come on but isn't cold. I expected it to have little to no refrigerant in it, just trying to figure out if I simply need to vacuum and refill now, or if I need to replace other parts or seals first.
The only way to answer those questions is vacuum and charge with the proper amount. Performance test it then leak check.

The "vacuum line" on the gauge set is called the charge hose BTW

Shoot the line junctions, condenser and any connection with windex (poor mans sniffer). If u see bubbles, you know where its leaking. System is working properly but is low. Throw some more in it and start spraying. Pulling down the system just to recharge it with a known leak is a waste of time and freon.

No actually the correct way to do it is to recover whats in it, charge it with the correct amount and test it, check for leaks, and recover it again if you need to fix a leak. But what do I know.....
Remember, this is the internet…

If Op had recovery equipment, he probably wouldnt be here.

Back
Top Bottom